Will OG reading differ if pulled from top or bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RumRiverBrewer

Reaction score
of the primary fermenter? After chilling, it is much clearer after allowing to settle in the fermenter.. Is the reading going to be different depending on where I draw the sample - off the top or in the protein-rich bottom?

TIA

A sample from the bottom would have more particulate matter, but I don't think solids affect the specific gravity of the liquid, which is what's being measured. I always try to get as clear a sample but that's so I can so I can drink the sample with minimal floaties.

there should be no difference. specific gravity is a measurement of the solution, not things in suspension

Not trying to come off smart, but don't you have a fermenter full of beer and a hydrometer? Why don't you try it and see?
There will probably be a temp. difference.

Well, right now I actually have eight fermenters full right now ;) The question I had is regardless of whether the test is done in the hydrometer cylinder or in the fermenter - the question is does the amount of particulates in the solution impact the SG reading. It sounds like (thanks Frodo) the solution is what's measured so it doesn't really matter as long as there's enough solution to get the reading.

Kegging day is going to be fun...

AnyHelpKegging.jpg

Back