Will off flavors fade with time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfhound180

Reaction score
Recently brewed a huge RIS without treating the water for chlorine/chloromine. I have had recent brews judged and was told about off flavors from chlorine. I have really good sanitation and never use chlorine, so I looked into the water and it is high. So, assuming that this beer will have those off flavors will they fade with aging? I brewed it in Jan and am aging it until december.

I don't believe that off flavors from chlorophenols (bandaid, plastic) will fade over time.

Pilgarlic said:
I don't believe that off flavors from chlorophenols (bandaid, plastic) will fade over time.

I agree they will not fade over time. But if you like the beer just skip the competitions and drink up.

That sucks. I can taste it I just wasn't sure of what was causing it. I now use campden tablets to treat my water.

Chlorine sucks. I love my well water pumped from 380 feet below my house. Tested it bacteria free, neutral and clean taste, no off flavors in my beer. :D

In my first brewing incarnation, I made 5 batches, and all of them tasted like plastic (which is why my first foray ended). Since I had that flavor even when I brewed with bottled water and kept bleach away from my process, I don't know if that taste was due to chlorophenols. What I do know is that the plastic flavor went away in one batch that I kept in bottles for about 5 years. They didn't taste that great, but they didn't taste like plastic. YMMV, but sitting on some of those bottles for an extended period might be a worthwhile experiment.

Latest posts

Back