Will my starter last 6 days in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
Ik there are other threads that kinda answer the same question, but i just want to be a little more specific. I was going to brew 2 batches today, so i made 2 starters. I had a buddy come over and it turns out after 6 hrs of brewing and a long week behind me, i don't feel like brewing another batch today. So if i let my starter finish out it's 24 hr pd, will it last another 7 days if i just refrigerate it? I don't see why it wouldn't....... thanks

I think it would be OK. You can also rack your fermented beer to a secondary and use the slurry from your first batch and use that next week too. :mug:

thanks mike......but when u stay I think it will be OK, that doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. I want to either know that it will be ok, or i'll just bite the bullet and make another starter later next week. So that's what i'm trying to figure out

It will be fine in the fridge. Just take it out a few hours before you pitch so it can warm up, then decant and give a good swirl to get the yeast back in suspension.

Ik there are other threads that kinda answer the same question, but i just want to be a little more specific. I was going to brew 2 batches today, so i made 2 starters. I had a buddy come over and it turns out after 6 hrs of brewing and a long week behind me, i don't feel like brewing another batch today. So if i let my starter finish out it's 24 hr pd, will it last another 7 days if i just refrigerate it? I don't see why it wouldn't....... thanks

It will last well beyond 6 days. I usually make starters on the big side of what's recommended in beersmith, but I have gone at least two weeks and used a starter without any noticeable effect on quality. That said, I don't plan to let starters sit around. I try to make them 48-72 hrs before brew day. I feel like that's when they're at their best and get off to the fastest start. But I don't stress if I miss that window.

Back