will my red be red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetdog

Reaction score
How to get a red ale? My last red ale came out more of an amber color (SRM 16). I would love to get that deep red color which some ales have instead of brewing another amber. I have read that ~40 crystal with 120 and/or a touch of dark roast will give a red color.
How will my recipe below come out for an American red ale? Thanks for any opinions and feedback. :mug:

Type: All Grain
Date: 1/11/2012
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 8.81 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.45 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.95 %
0.50 lb Caraamber (30.0 SRM) Grain 3.48 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.48 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 150L (150.0 SRM) Grain 1.74 %
0.13 lb Chocolate Pale (225.0 SRM) Grain 0.90 %

1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 36.8 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 14.0 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) Hops

Its really hard to say and a deep red can be hard to achieve sometimes. A 90 minute boil should help get you closer.

Great. I might try swapping out the pale chocolate for roasted barley. The reason I chose pale chocolate is that I was slightly following a Jamil recipe for a red ale in which he used pale chocolate. I would hope at .125 Lb. (2 oz) the roasted barley would provide color and not too much burnt taste. I am looking for the brew to be on the lighter side of malty compared to the flavor of a malty beer such as arrogant bastard.

Great. I might try swapping out the pale chocolate for roasted barley. The reason I chose pale chocolate is that I was slightly following a Jamil recipe for a red ale in which he used pale chocolate. I would hope at .125 Lb. (2 oz) the roasted barley would provide color and not too much burnt taste. I am looking for the brew to be on the lighter side of malty compared to the flavor of a malty beer such as arrogant bastard.

Evil twin right? I just made it and it was red but not a deep red and more brownish. I tried the small roasted barley addition once and didn't get the red I was hoping for but YMMV.

Not Evil Twin. I was switching up the first recipe on the top of of the Janmil recipe page for an amber-red. I realized I have no dark crystal and will be trying 3 oz. of roasted barley along with my pound of crystal to get a red color.

Back