Will my east/west coastal IPA go clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBenn

Reaction score
I just finished making what could be a NEIPA except for using Chico yeast and a small amount of CTZ at 60 minutes for bittering. Late hops and dry hops are all Mosaic and Simcoe, and I used about a pound of oats as a nod to the NE style.

Just kegged, and it's very juicy and cloudy right now. Tastes great! But I wonder will it clear in the keg and lose some of it's juiciness? I think I read that a low floc yeast like conan or London Ale III is needed to keep the cloudy, juicy character.

Anyone have experience with using a west coast neutral yeast with a North East IPA recipe?

Yes, in my experience almost all of my IPAs go clear eventually. Even using a lower flocculating yeast, with cold temperatures they tend to drop clear long before I finish drinking them.

I found that by increasing the oats, and adding other flaked grains like flaked wheat but especially flaked barley, that I would keep the haze throughout the life of the beer.

Yes, in my experience almost all of my IPAs go clear eventually. Even using a lower flocculating yeast, with cold temperatures they tend to drop clear long before I finish drinking them.

I found that by increasing the oats, and adding other flaked grains like flaked wheat but especially flaked barley, that I would keep the haze throughout the life of the beer.

Thanks, Yooper. This would probably be more clear already then, but I may have forgotten whirlfloc, sucked in yeast transferring after cold crashing, and am rushing it(force carbing, etc.) for a competition deadline.

It's my first (sorta) NEIPA, so....

Just poured a small glass after reducing the pressure and letting it sit, and it's clearing a bit already. Next time I'll try 1318, just to see the difference. Oh, but it's good. Will have to post the recipe if it wins.

Thanks, Yooper. This would probably be more clear already then, but I may have forgotten whirlfloc, sucked in yeast transferring after cold crashing, and am rushing it(force carbing, etc.) for a competition deadline.

It's my first (sorta) NEIPA, so....

Just poured a small glass after reducing the pressure and letting it sit, and it's clearing a bit already. Next time I'll try 1318, just to see the difference. Oh, but it's good. Will have to post the recipe if it wins.

Even if it doesn't win, if it's good, I'd love it if you post the recipe!

Well, it cleared quite a bit in a couple days. Very interestingly, it tasted more "juicy" with some cloudyness, and more "west coast syle" when clear.

Was very goiod both ways, but different. The clear, west coast style seems to be way better with mexican or Thai food, while the cloudy version tastes better without food.

I actually have an additional keg dry hopping right now, so I expect even a third change in the next week or two.

Experimenting can be fun.

Back