Will my damaged bine sprout new bine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MathiasMicrobrew

Reaction score
We had a pretty mean hail storm over the weekend and one of my bines on my 2nd year Willamette got broke off.

I have read somewhere that a new bine will sprout from the closest node to the break and become the primary? Does that sound possible or will I just train a new shoot?

Cut it and start a new bine. Plants with Broken nodes and bines grow out and not up and are worthless (especially early on).

Even though its 6' tall? I know they have some growing to do but I didnt know if that wld be long enough to keep

Even though its 6' tall? I know they have some growing to do but I didnt know if that wld be long enough to keep

Cut a few nodes below the broken joint, wait for the new sprouts to come and when you're able train them upwards. They will become the leaders. Yes, other nodes will also break dormancy because that's how plants work (in most cases) and you should train those upwards as well (or as many as you feel like). Your plant will be fine, but it will also likely try sending out new growth from the crown as well. Cut back that new growth, as you've already invested your energy into these.

That was kinda my thinking. I remember reading about new sprouts from the nodes but wasnt sure. I will give that a try. Thanks!

It will, so don't worry. These plants were made to live through anything.

Best of luck, let us know what happens, and document it with pictures!

Cheers!

Here is a pic of the broken bine and it looks like its already sprouting at the node below the break :) hopefully it will produce a least one primary.

1400030207781.jpg

I had 7 broken nodes this year. Waited 2 weeks to see what happened...nothing. The plants grew outward and no sign of new nodes. So I cut those and let a few new vines grow. Now I've got new bines that at growing strong and I don't have to worry about broken plants maybe or maybe not fixing themselves.

I'd just let it go and something like this will most likely happen:

Broken tip.jpg

I had 7 broken nodes this year. Waited 2 weeks to see what happened...nothing. The plants grew outward and no sign of new nodes. So I cut those and let a few new vines grow. Now I've got new bines that at growing strong and I don't have to worry about broken plants maybe or maybe not fixing themselves.

If the plant sent out new growth, then there are new nodes. It might require that you train it upwards, but so be it.

His plant will do just fine, and if he cuts it back now it will affect his yield more severely than if he just trains it. It's obviously growing, he's already demonstrated that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Im gonna let it go and train the new growth. I was on the fence but now im set. Im sure it will be fine!

Final thoughts.

The node we see in the picture may likely be a large sidearm node. It will grow long and imitate the hop bine but the production of hops on that particular plant may be really low because the sidearm node can only produce so many hops and is not the primary bine. It may be being mistaken for "the" node as some suggest.

I am very interested in what happens as i have read and heard various theories so let us know.

My short experience and research tells me sidearms grow after the primary node breaks. I found this interesting:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/broke-off-top-my-hop-bines-will-they-recover-175572/

I didnt get a pic today but the sprouts are about 2 inches and seem to be taking off.. I did notice some sidearms starting to show up elsewhere but the ones in the pic are much longer. I will keep updates coming. Im curious to see how the harvest is going to be on those arms.

Here is a pic of today.. the cooler temps we have been getting the past week have slowed down growth but shld warm back up soon.

1400271416050.jpg

The sprouts are looking good and they are both about 6 in. One is a little longer than the other.

They are looking pretty promising as of right now. The top pic is yesterday and the bottom is today.

1400702704337.jpg

1400702749325.jpg

Yep, those look like sidearms. I don't think you are going to get much from this plant unless you start another bine.

It is starting to become clear -based on my research and experience-that hop plants will not grow up after the primary node is broken. It will grow out.

What many mistake as a "new" nodes is just a sidearm/s. The sidearm/s may look like a primary node but it is not.

I hope I am wrong though and this plant produces and the root system grows. I'm definely following th updates.

I hope they aren't sidearms either. I didnt get another pic today but they both grew another 3 or so inches and I trained them both.

We will see if they sprout some sidearms of their own!

Just got home tonight and checked them out and they are most definitely sprouting sidearms themselves.

Is it odd that the node seems offset? All the others seem to be even with each other

1400810791529.jpg

Thats kinda what I was thinking.. I wonder if they will all be like that on that bine or if its just a mutation lol

I got a good look at them now thats it light out. The other bine has an even larger gap between the node halves. ( top pic )

I also noticed some of the same "bine growth" on the few nodes below the broken one. ( bottom pic )

I noticed laterals forming on the nodes of the new bines as well. Wld those be side-sidearms? Maybe subsidearms lol

1400872037916.jpg

1400872060743.jpg

Who knows. I just noticed (my hop garden is not at my primary residence) that I missed cutting a plant that had a broken node and it appears to have grown upwards considerably. However, it is also already flowering while other plants are not. So who knows.

I have a nugget where the main stem broke off. At the closest node it sprouted two new vines where the side arms would normally be. I removed one bine and the one remaining seems to be growing like a normal bine and starting to sprout side arms.

This is a second year plant that was very weak first year growing no more than four feet tall. This year it is already about five feet and looking healthier.

1401245254903.jpg

1401245278631.jpg

I let both of the new bines grow and they are about 2 ft long now and are real close to the same length. They are also sprouting side arms.

Is there a reason why the nodes on the new bines are offset like the bottom pic? There are some that have more of a gap than that

1401308240823.jpg

1401308258000.jpg

I think h22w might have had the right idea by selecting only one and removing the other but I think you should keep it the way it's going to see what happens. I'll try to get a pick of the plant I have that's now 8 feet long from from the point the node broke off and is currently flowering.

Maybe my early assumptions are completely wrong or there are exceptions. Either way its interesting.

It's been awhile since I updated but they have been growing pretty strong lately and producing nice spurs at each node.

One of the 2 bines seems to have turned the top into a cluster of hops instead of the"head" that grows. The other bine is still growing and putting out spurs at the nodes.

1403299253658.jpg

Back