Will my Coopers IPA Mellow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I have a batch of Coopers IPA in the primary fementor going on day 17. I added 1oz of Cascade to dry hop at day 7.

My OG was 1.056 and it now reads 1.012. I plan to bottle in two days. When I drank the sample it tasted overpoweringly of alcohol and was not very hoppy.

If anyone has brewed Coopers IPA, is this typical of this recipe?

Will it mellow and get more balanced in the bottle?

I followed the recipe below to the exact measurements.

http://www.coopers.com.a...rew/strong/authentic-ipa

I have a batch of Coopers IPA in the primary fementor going on day 17. I added 1oz of Cascade to dry hop at day 7.

My OG was 1.056 and it now reads 1.012. I plan to bottle in two days. When I drank the sample it tasted overpoweringly of alcohol and was not very hoppy.

If anyone has brewed Coopers IPA, is this typical of this recipe?

Will it mellow and get more balanced in the bottle?

I followed the recipe below to the exact measurements.

http://www.coopers.com.a...rew/strong/authentic-ipa

I havn't done their IPA, however I do have a Real Ale going from them. The fermentation is about done. I popped the airlock to get a sample for SG test and was quite surprised that it had a fairly strong alcohol smell to it. It disapated after a day or so. Its still aging in the bucket till the weekend or when I get my Tap-A-Draft delivered. Whichever is later.

I also purchased their Draft ale kit. One thing I did notice though was they call for like a Kilo of Dextrose instead of DME or LME to get the SG up. I'm going to use that with some Malto-Dextrin on this kit instead of the sugar.

I also notice with the Real Ale and the Dextrose that the thing went pretty dry. It finished up around 1.002 or 1.003. Pretty dry for me. I'll also add a touch of Lactose to back sweeten that a tad.

Edit: Another thought for the Draft kit is maybe I won't use all the water to bring it up to 6 Gal US. That might bring the SG up without having to add alot of DME or LME?

It hasn't even been 3 weeks since your brew day. In my experience (less than 1 year of brewing so far, but about 10 or 12 batches so far) beer is very 'green' for the first 6 weeks. Meaning, alcohol notes, fruity aromas and flavors, and unbalanced flavors.

I don't bother drinking it for atleast 8 weeks from brew day now. I feel like im wasting good beer when I drink it too early :)

The lesson i learned from all this needed waiting is that it is important to NEVER STOP BREWING. I try to keep 3 or 4 batches conditioning at all times. After all, if you have so much beer you dont know what to do with, at least it doesnt go bad. It only gets better and better.

Back