will my beer always taste like cider? re: plastic carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I brew a ton of beer. Made my first cider yesterday evening (so easy!) and didn't think until just now, should I have used a glass carboy? I put it in my plastic big mouth bubbler because thats what I prefer to use, but I dont want to make that a cider-only carboy going forward?

The employee at LHBS told me the cider flavor lingers bad in serving lines (i'll just swap that out for cider), which is why I thought about this just now.

how much will the apple flavor linger in a plastic carboy? It's only been one day so should I rack into my glass carboy tonight just to be safe?

Thanks for the advice

Cider flavor is so light I can’t imagine it overpowering beer. Unless all you brew is watered down light beer.

I use PET plastic carboys for beer and cider interchangeably and don't get any flavor carryover. Not sure that I'd trust rootbeer.
I was hoping the material difference between serving lines and carboys would mean i dont need to sweat this. Thanks for letting me know, one less thing to do tonight!

Back