Will lightbulb in fermentation chamber cause light struck beer ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelspin

Reaction score
Hi

I have a bare 60W light build in my fermentation chamber as a heat source and
ferment in white plastics buckets.

Will the light given off cause the fermenting beer to become light struck ?

Yeah, it was my understanding that using incandescent bulbs was preferred over those new styles for heat without UV.

Yeah, it was my understanding that using incandescent bulbs was preferred over those new styles for heat without UV.

A ceramic heater is what's preferred. They are super cheap, won't break, don't create UV light, and safe. You can get them online or at a lot of pet stores (for reptile terrariums). Pet stores might also carry cheap thermostats to control the temperature. Not much use for them where I'm at though.

I've heard of that in the last year or so? My lizard usually gets enough heat, thank you, so using it in the fermenter cabinet would be OK. :D I was thinking that, since last winter being so severe, I'd get heat pads to put under them with a temp controller & keep'em covered at the least? So a heat pad controlled would work as well?

A ceramic heater is what's preferred. They are super cheap, won't break, don't create UV light, and safe. You can get them online or at a lot of pet stores (for reptile terrariums). Pet stores might also carry cheap thermostats to control the temperature. Not much use for them where I'm at though.

^^^^This! I've been using these for s couple of years & they work very well. I hooked up to my Ranco & also use s small fan that runs all the time for better circulation.
My chamber will hold up to six carboys & holds temp winter & summer within 1°F.

I've heard of that in the last year or so? My lizard usually gets enough heat, thank you, so using it in the fermenter cabinet would be OK. :D I was thinking that, since last winter being so severe, I'd get heat pads to put under them with a temp controller & keep'em covered at the least? So a heat pad controlled would work as well?

Iguana? I was just in the Cayman Islands. Huge iguanas were EVERYWHERE. Pretty cool.

I wrap my fermenter with this:

12ht.jpg

http://www.reptilebasics.com/12-heat-tape

A must have for a tasty Saison

'da Kid

I've been using a 60W lightbulb covered with a metal coffee can. However, I've been having a lot of trouble stabilizing fermentation temperatures. I brewed a Kolsch last weekend and put it in my chest freezer with the aforementioned lightbulb, and the STC-1000 set to 16.5° C +/- 0.3° C, with the temperature probe in a thermowell stopper in the glass carboy.

I found that the temperature would swing wildly. I was seeing temperatures everywhere from 13.5° C all the way up to 19° C. It seems when the light bulb came on, the chamber would get so warm, and was so well insulated, that when the beer reached the desired temperature, it just kept getting warmer.

Anyway, I've removed the light bulb and replaced it with a heating belt my wife used to use for wine making (which I probably should have just used in the first place). The temperatures seem MUCH more stable now.

I wonder how stable this stuff is? Cold it be used with plastic fermenters?

It looks like a resistive element embedded in a plastic film, much like the Fermwrap. I would think you could use it on buckets as well as carboys. The product info stated that it must be used with a thermostat (which goes without saying for us). I don't think 23 watts per square foot would be too hot if connected to a controller. IIRC, the fermwrap is somewhere in the 30-40W range, and is OK to use on buckets.

I wonder how stable this stuff is? Cold it be used with plastic fermenters?

I've used it on both Unionrdr

It's hard to feel any heat from it really. I use dollar store bungee cords to hold it tight to the fermenter.

It's ~30" in length. Cut it a few inches short of overlapping to leave space for the controller T/C.

The only shortfall I see is the lead wire connections. I took the cheap route and soldered mine. Seems kinda fragile now. Next time I'll use their crimped leads.

Oh, I've only used mine in the 65° basement and it had no problem reaching 80° Saison temp.

'da Kid

Cool, thanks guys. I might just get some of this stuff for winter, as it gets colder than a polar bear's bum here in the edge of the Great Lakes snow belt.

Back