Will leaf hops sink after cold crashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but in 4+ years brewing, I've never used leaf hops. But my LHBS was out of simcoe pellets, so I got the leaf hops. My usual procedure is to dry how loose in the primary and then cold crash for a couple days and the pellet hops will settle out. Will leaf hops behave the same or will they float?

From my experience they will not all drop out. You will get the ones that get completely saturated that might fall out but as a whole it's not going to happen.
I always put the cone hops in a stretched out muslin bag and weigh them down with a sanitized marble or something. I find that doing this helps with surface area contact and you'll get a better dryhop.

I don't bag mine- they get saturated with wort even if they don't sink.

It's not too bad racking, unless you manage to get a few loose leaves stuck in the siphon.

Would it avoid that if I put a bag around the end of the siphon? I generally put a bag at the end of the output hose, but could put one around the input tube.

I just rack under them. Ive never had them get stuck in the siphon. But I have an auto-siphon with the little end piece thingy that helps with that

Back