will killer yeast kill brett, lacto, etc?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe and thinking about bottle conditioning with champagne yeast. If champagne yeast is a killer yeast what exactly will it kill?

I don't think it will actually kill anything. I think Killer is just saying that it will dry things out to the extreme.

Brett is a neutral strain, which is why it can infect wine/champagne

Ale yeasts are almost all susceptible strains and will be killed, and the jury is out on pedio/lacto

I'm curious about this. I know Ithaca bottles their Brute (which has Brett but not bugs) with three different kinds of champagne yeast. I haven't tried to culture Brett from Brute myself, but I would assume the Brett survives.

Killer yeast is any yeast that is harboring a 'killer virus' and produces a 'killer protein' that is toxic to non-killers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_yeast

Any yeast not carrying the killer virus is NOT immune, and will experience cell death with any interactions with the killer protein in the liquid.

There might be a small chance that a sensitive non-killer yeast can survive, but the yeast in the beer/wine/mead/cider will be out-of-proportion and skewed to have more killer yeast.

As per bacteria, there are a few studies out there that show they "might" be affected by the killing activity or might not be. But since Brett IS a yeast, it will be affected for sure. Lacto and/or pedio may or may not be affected.

Back