Will kegged beer taste bad if its cold,warm,then cold again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbug440

Reaction score
If I have a kegerator with a keg of yuengling, a keg from a local microbrew,and a keg of homebrew. They are chilled to serving temps and I drink half of each. My kegerator breaks and they sit at room temp. for a week (70-75 degrees). Then the kegerator is fixed and the beer is brought back to serving temps. will some or none of them still taste good? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I really want to know this question really bothers me.
Thanks,
Mike

Outside of wild temperature fluctuations (like 30 to 95+) oxygen (your using co2), and bacteria/wild yeast, your beer should not go bad.

I read an article once where a guy did manage to get some very off flavors in a brew if he heated it up to 140ish in a toaster oven. So your beer might be compromised if you left it in a car on the hottest summer day for a long time. But the regular fluctuations don't do anything. Myth Busted.

Hi guys. Reviving an old message. I'm new to kegging, but this post interests me as I am trying to determine whether I'll be force carbing at room temp over time or chilling, carbing, and then letting the keg warm back up to room temp (I don't have sufficient cooling space currently to handle my kegs).

I know that the original poster mentioned a single scenario, but if I do this to carb and then let the keg return to room temp will I be damaging my beer? What if I do this again multiple times to serve beer type A one night, then type B another night, then back to A again (assuming only one keg can be kept cold at a time? In the meantime I'll keep searching the forums.

In general higher temperatures are bad and temperature swings are bad. A single cycle of chilling down to 40 and warming to 70 isn't going to be materially worse than just leaving it at 70 the entire time.

If you need to keep kegs warm for a while, why not just carbonate them by adding sugar? People seem to think this will result in more yeast in the keg, but the yeast won't reproduce unless you add more free amino nitrogen (eg by adding DME or speise).

Hi guys. Reviving an old message. I'm new to kegging, but this post interests me as I am trying to determine whether I'll be force carbing at room temp over time or chilling, carbing, and then letting the keg warm back up to room temp (I don't have sufficient cooling space currently to handle my kegs).

I know that the original poster mentioned a single scenario, but if I do this to carb and then let the keg return to room temp will I be damaging my beer? What if I do this again multiple times to serve beer type A one night, then type B another night, then back to A again (assuming only one keg can be kept cold at a time? In the meantime I'll keep searching the forums.

Take a bottled beer (commercial or homebrew), and refrigerate it, then bring it to room temp, then refrigerate again, then room temp again, etc. It will be fine. This is no different than a keg, which is a giant bottle of beer. You will be fine. If you prove me otherwise, I give you free access to my free bar.

What about Pasteurization? If I were to heat sealed bottles up to 150°F after they were around 75°F, let them get back to room temps and then chill them would this affect my beer?

Back