Will it smell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavransAUG

Reaction score
Hello, I am going to brew my first bottle of Hard Apple Cider. I really wonder if it is going to smell bad and if it is going to linger or if the smell is going to come out of the closet.

Here’s what I will do:

buy two 1 litres of natural pasturized apple juice, pour out a bit of those two and then but half a packet of active dry yeast in each, then put a baloon over where the cap is going to be. After one week I will remove the balloon and put 4 tablespoons of tablesugar and let it carbonate in 1 or 2 weeks. Will this produce a smell? Can I eventually do something so it doesn’t smell? Thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention I will ferment and carbonate in the closet and it will ferment and carbonate in plastic bottles.

Smell like what, exactly? Fermenting usually gives off yeasty odors, and scents similar to whatever ingredients you're using. Fermenting is always going to smell like something.

Generally, I'd avoid fermenting in a closet, especially if that closet has clothes in it. If a batch froths over, or expels odors, any clothing, cloth, and other materials will likely absorb a lot of it. It can also be troublesome to clean out a closet if a batch blows its lid, and must gets everywhere.

Using the balloon to cap the batch will keep the gasses in, but only if they do not exceed the balloon's capacity. If it does, the balloon is either going to slip off, or pop. It's much safer to use an airlock - which allows gasses to escape, but does not allow air to get in. If you're planning on "burping" the balloon every now and then, you're also letting air into your bottle, which can be dangerous for the must.

Yes, it will smell. Sometimes nice and "apply" sometimes a little yeasty and sometimes like Hydrogen Sulfide (Farts). Depending on how warm your ferment is and how you manage it.

If using a balloon put a hole in it using a pin or it will inflate. If you don't then like @Shadesmana suggested will likely pop or fly off.

How strong will the smell be exactly? It’s a storage closet with almost nothing in it so that isn’t a problem. I don’t want the smell to go outside of the closet. Thanks for the information too.

I ferment in a small space under the stairs (much smaller than Harry Potters, unfortunately). When I open the door and step in I can smell the fermenting beer or cider. It is not strong or at all unpleasant to me, but that is subjective. I never notice the smell from outside the cubby.

I think cheese cloth or a coffee filter might be a better choice than a balloon, but then, I have never used a balloon so I have no experience with that method. I do suggest sitting the bottles in a large pan of some kind to protect the floor in the event of an event.

If you're using cheesecloth, coffee filters, or poking holes in balloons, air is going to get into your cider. Air is full of particles; like molds, wild yeasts, and bacteria. You don't want these things in your cider. An airlock can help prevent this.

Ferment safely, friends. ❤

Just out of curiosity, why are you so worried about the smell? Maybe putting your concerns into perspective will help us give you advice. It certainly won't permeate the whole area the way a pot plant in a closet grow room will. I think you might be overestimating the smell this will put out. I ferment sometimes 3-4 batches at a time in the laundry room, where the furnace would spread the smell all through the house, but still have never noticed it outside that room.

I’d honestly be more concerned about the balloon, the use of sucrose and bakers yeast. If you’re just going for alcohol you’re going to get it, it’ll be prison hooch but it’ll have alcohol.
Prison hooch indeed. Or by the sounds if it, it could be hospital hooch, mental institution hooch, dormitory hooch, office hooch, fast food restaurant hooch, or god forbid....kindergarten hooch. OP hasn't let on yet why he's being so careful about the smell.

Let's not make any assumptions about the OP. Some folks have strong senses of smell, and are smell-sensitive as a result.

Also, this is their first recipe. They are trying it out - each batch is different. Was your first batch branded "hooch" by more experienced crafters? Did you taste this batch? Let's help the OP out, like they asked, and forego hasty judgements. We're here to help each other. 💛

The only place I can ferment is in my room due to my roomates and I can’t handle the smell of brewery so I just want to know if it will forexample effect my sleep. That’s why I want to put in the closet.

I have fermented beer and cider in smaller spaces. It won't be that bad. probably. It's pretty mild.

Why on earth would you use baker's yeast? I started with rootbeer making and baker's yeast. It's terrible. For rootbeer I switched to champagne yeast which made a world of difference...

It's only a few bucks, so why not try it, and if the smell gets too strong, dump it and shrug that it was worth a try.

The only place I can ferment is in my room due to my roomates and I can’t handle the smell of brewery so I just want to know if it will forexample effect my sleep. That’s why I want to put in the closet.
Thanks for clarifying. I doubt the smell will leave your room, or if you will even smell it in your room unless of course the closet door is open. I say go for it!

Let's not make any assumptions about the OP. Some folks have strong senses of smell, and are smell-sensitive as a result.

Also, this is their first recipe. They are trying it out - each batch is different. Was your first batch branded "hooch" by more experienced crafters? Did you taste this batch? Let's help the OP out, like they asked, and forego hasty judgements. We're here to help each other. 💛
Not making assumptions, stating my view. Yes, the first beer I ever made was terrible, before the advent of the interweb where information was readily available.

I have three gallons of cider wine, 5 gallons of ginger beer, and 5 more gallons of ale fermenting away in a small closet (can't fit more fermenters or I would).

It does have a smell. I do not smell it when the doors are closed, despite being high off the floor and a hardwood floor (nothing stopping airflow like a carpet).

If I leave the closet closed for a long time, and quickly open it, I then smell typical brewery / apple scent.

I personally really enjoy the smell.

Back