Will it mellow or is it toast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadIggy

Reaction score
I brewed a english strong ale and my first taste was quite bitter and had a slight smell of rubbing alcohol. When I tasted a little when racking it tasted great. Think I did something wrong then or do I just need to give it more time?

Recipe said it would be ready in 6 weeks total. I'm 2 days short, but there's a blizzard outside, so I figured it was time to taste. I guess I'll wait a bit longer.

High abv beers need time to get rid of the alcohol taste, even aging at keg serving temps will help this I have realized.

Kit instructions often don't suggest enough conditioning time. 6 weeks from brew to glass for this beer is a bare minimum to something drinkable, but more time will definitely improve the beer. Have one every 2 weeks or so and see how the taste and texture and carbonation changes. Try to put some away for a few months - it will blow your mind.

If you keep it someplace warm (~70F or so) it will condition a bit faster.

Brew something else now to get your mind off this batch. Keeping up a good pipeline of conditioning beer helps with your patience and gives you lots of great beer.

Thanks all. Happy to be patient. Was scared I'd ruined a complete batch - hopefully not the case.

Back