Will it definitely be skunked?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeShmo

Reaction score
The wife left the basement light on all day today after she went down there this morning. The light is directly over my carboy, and fermentation is almost done

I dont think man made light has anything to do with it. Maybe if its a heat lamp and it got hot it might make some off flavors but even then probably not. It will be fine.

Florescent light does make the required uv light needed to skunk beer. If it was incandescent i wouldn't worry much. either way I would bottle or keg as usual I doubt one day would hurt much unless it was in direct sunlight.

It is a florescent, so I guess I'll just have to wonder for a few weeks until I can taste it to get the real answer

In the future I would recommend putting a t shirt or towel on the carboy every time. That way there would be no reason to worry. I keep a few old t shirts around just for this use.

Back