Will I under pitch??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DivrDwn

Reaction score
I recently purchased the groupon for a Midwest supplies beginners brewer kit (for a second kit). The groupon gives a selection of choices for a kit and I selected the Irish Red Ale (as I already have the Irish Stout in primary).

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/irish-red-ale.html

The kit came with 1 packet of Munton's Ale Yeast, which is a 6 gram packet.

Since I'm rather new and don't know what I'm doing yet with regards to pitching rates...Would the 1 packet be under pitching for my 5 gallon batch? If so, should I just buy a second packet of the same yeast and pitch both for a total of 12 grams?

TIA

IMO, If it hasn't shipped yet, call them and tell them you want the 11gram pack of 05 instead, IMO, it's a better yest strain and at 11 grams it is totally adequate for the batch, just re hydrate it and pitch it!

Munton's Ale yeast isn't a good quality yeast. Not only would it be underpitching, that yeast isn't designed for "all malt" beers. I'd get something else, like dry nottingham or S04 and not use that Munton's stuff.

S-04 or Nottingham for that Irish Red.

If you can keep the ferment consistently below 68*F, I'd opt for Nottingham.

Back