will I need to add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
I brewed a lager back in the first week for September. It ran for about 3 weeks and then I racked to secondary to lagar. I stepped it down in the lagar fridge to 36-38F. It has been lagaring for 6 weeks.

My question is, if I bottle this instead of keg, is there enough yeast still in sediment to properly carbonate, or will I need to add dry yeast?

There is a lot of yeast sediment in the bottom of the carboy.

Thanks

Probably not- I've done it without adding yeast. Still, if you want to be 100% sure it will carb, it won't hurt to add some fresh yeast. What I've done is use approximately 1/4 of a package of a good dry yeast (nottingham or s-05) and dissolve that in my cooled priming solution and stirred well. Then, I racked the lager into that. I've done it both ways, but wanted to add the yeast a few times to ensure it would carb and, of course, it did.

So no, and yes?? :)

Another thing to add here is, I am not looking for this to be ready till christmans, so it will have a nice long bottle condition at room temp.

So no, and yes?? :)

Another thing to add here is, I am not looking for this to be ready till christmans, so it will have a nice long bottle condition at room temp.

Exactly! No, and yes! I mean, it will probably carb up just fine. I really don't know of anyone who didn't have it carb up eventually, if it was a "regular" (not super high gravity) lager. So, it'll probably be fine.

But, if you want to make doubly sure because the lager is crystal clear, or if you're like me, and will worry about it until you know for sure in 2 months, then you may want to.

Exactly! No, and yes! I mean, it will probably carb up just fine. I really don't know of anyone who didn't have it carb up eventually, if it was a "regular" (not super high gravity) lager. So, it'll probably be fine.

But, if you want to make doubly sure because the lager is crystal clear, or if you're like me, and will worry about it until you know for sure in 2 months, then you may want to.

Thanks, thats kind of what I thought you meant in your first post. Its just funny to me, cuz like so many things in life, there are no definites with this hobby ;)

Anyway, this is an Octoberfest style that will be pretty high AC, I started with an OG of 1.080. I am hoping that by the time I bottle this I will be sitting at 1.020 or less. But, I'm not sure I'll make it that low.

Anyway, If I'm gonna add more yeast then I'll have to wait till next week to bottle, since the homebrew supply store is 90 miles away. If I'm gonna do that I might as well keg it anyway. I had originally planned to keg it next week, after picking up some goodies from the homebrew supply store. due to a schedule change, I was hoping to just get it done in the bottles this week.

So, I called the home brew supply house, 90 miles away, to inquire about their kegging system. He has one available for $200.00, not bad.

But, he is telling me that I should be fine bottling this as is. Now, the guy is turning down a for sure sell to give me what he thinks is good advice, gotta admire that :D

Now, I assured him that no matter what my decision is for this batch, I would be buying the keg kit from him regardless for the next batch.

He says that even with all the yeast that has dropped out, there should be plenty in suspension to properly carbonate this beer. Hope he is right........

He says that even with all the yeast that has dropped out, there should be plenty in suspension to properly carbonate this beer. Hope he is right........

Yeah, he's probably right.

But..........if you have an 1.080 beer down to 1.020, those are some pooped out tired yeast.

I'm just sayin'! ;)

That is my big fear, I'm going right now to get an accurate FG.

If tomorrow gets out of hand, I may not have enough time to get-R-done anyway. In this case, I will have to re-evaluate the options.

took a reading todya, FG of 1.028 not what I was hoping for. tasted good though :rockin:

Back