Will I lose out on good yeast by racking lager a third time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBadBeerBaron

Reaction score
I have been brewing with beer in bag kits for about two years now, time and money don't allow to moving on to all grain right now. So I've been experimenting lately to improve the beer I'm making, which I've always been happy with.so far. I took a brewer's spring lager ( which has become my favorite go-to beer) and used real lager yeast, as opposed to the general purpose coopers diy yeast that comes in the kit. It was in the primary in the mid 60's for about a week, until fermentation settled down, then I racked it to.a carboy and placed outside my beer room. Not sure of the temp, thermometer doesn't go any lower than 58F, but it's lower than that.
Now to my question. The kit provides 17g of cascade hops, meant to be added during primary. I waited til secondary, hoping for a more hoppy flavour. I've read that the hops shouldn't stay in there too long, as they could cause the beer to become grassy in flavour. ( been in.there about 5 day's)
I want to rack the beer over to another carboy so it can sit for another month, but my yeast cake is about 2" thick ( still seeing lots of bubbles rising). If I rack now to get rid of the hops, will it affect the beer, losing all that yeast?

If you are talking of dry hopping. It is usually done for the last 5-7 days before bottling or kegging. I think you will lose most of the hop aroma and flavor if you rack again and let it sit for a month. If you do another rack, I would do another dry hop for the last 5-7 days before your bottling day.

What type of lager yeast did you use? Mid 60s for primary lager fermentation is too high. There is a lot of information in this forum on brewing lagers, ie "starters", fermentation temperatures, pitching temps, lagering etc. I'm only on my 2nd lager, so I'm no expert, but I try to do as much research as I can on Homebrew Talk and other sources. Good luck!

Uh oh...

train-derail.jpg

Well, I've looked at several forums and websites, and came across lots of different and conflicting opinions. Forget the kind of yeast, safale, I think. I basically followed the instructions for temp for primary that were on the package, I think it was like 15C.
I realize now that I dryhopped too soon, but like I said, with these kits your supposed to dryhop in primary, so the hop flavour can't be any less than doing it that way.
But my question still is, if I rack again, will my fermentation suffer?

No, fermentation will not suffer. The yeast that have settled out are dormant and are not required for the beer to mature properly. That being said, sitting on the yeast longer, does add some extra flavors that many folks like, and that many other folks do not like as much (so they tend to rack off the cake). That is a personal preference

Thanks pjj2ba
Decided to leave it alone. Not too worried about her. Sometimes trial and error are good ways to learn. If it turns out good, ill name it Train Wreck Lager.

Back