Will I have bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenchu_11

Reaction score
I opened two bottles of my ale today after 4 days of being bottled and both where gushers. To make it simple the first one was half in my belly and half on my counter and all over my shirt. The second one I opened slowly (i have fliptop bottles) and let alot of the excess Co2 out. Are these bottle bombs in the making will..some how the Co2 go away..(doubt it)? Should I just slowly release the Co2 out of all my bottles before its too late..never dealt with gushers before so not sure if they are bottle bombs

What was your OG and FG? How much priming sugar did you use?

Sounds like they will become bombs at this rate. Open all the bottles to relieve the built up pressure and then recap.

5oz shouldn't cause bottle bombs. I think the reason you have gushers right now (4 days in the bottle) is because the Co2 hasn't been absorbed by the beer and the change in pressure when you open the bottle causes it to gusher out. Give it a week or 2 and I bet that the beer will absorb that Co2.

5oz shouldn't cause bottle bombs. I think the reason you have gushers right now (4 days in the bottle) is because the Co2 hasn't been absorbed by the beer and the change in pressure when you open the bottle causes it to gusher out. Give it a week or 2 and I bet that the beer will absorb that Co2.
With the info you provided, I agree with this.

It was a 5 gallon batch, correct?

5gallons..i usually open a bottle about 4-5 days after bottling i know its green but I like to see how it taste before its aged. I have never had a gusher...wonder if i should release some pressure or just wait it out

i was watching a series of youtube videos regarding this. The post about the co2 not being absorbed yet was the whole point of the youtube series. Once the 1.5 weeks - 2 weeks was reached it was fine.

I think you are fine.

Thanks guys i figured out what I did wrong. So i was overly catious since my last batch was infected. So i boiled a pint of water with 5oz of dextrose.I poured the dissolved dextrose and walked away for about 10 minutes thinking somehow it will disperse itself and I wouldn't have to stir it and possibly infected with my plastic stirring spoon. I had always stirred my bottling sugar into the batches with my sanitized spoon but I thought not stirring it would just take one more variable out of my previous infection scenarios. So after 5 days of bottling (I have 3 cases of 12, 15oz grolsch bottles) I opened 2 bottles from each case and like magic 3 where gushers and 3 where just fizzy. The first 3 bottles where from the top half of the bucket (gushers) and the other 3 where from the bottom half (barely fizzy).

I found it easier to add the pricing sugar and then rack on top of it. The motion from the liquid coming from the primary will mix it appropriately.

Glad you got it worked out though.

I found it easier to add the pricing sugar and then rack on top of it. The motion from the liquid coming from the primary will mix it appropriately.

Glad you got it worked out though.

Dude thats is very smart I will have to start doing that. Do you boil 1 pint in water when you do it?

The answer answer lies in the fact that you opened it at only one week NOT that there is anything else really wrong.

It's only been 5 days in the bottles, relax.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Look at the video in the thread, what happened to you what poindexter shows at 1 week in the video. Carbonation hasn't locked in yet, so, leave them alone for a couple more weeks, and they will be fine. You won't have bottle bombs, you just have noobish impatience.

Yeah the gusher in the video would of been welcomed compared to the one i had. I literally opened it and had beer all over my face and shirt and the walls...gushing like old faithful. Its still a very awesome video and makes a great point but I do feel like mine where just overly carbonated and I had to let a little pressure out I use fliptop bottles I should post a video on it

Well my experience with new brewers is that if you had waited the 3 weeks we recommend you would never have noticed any gushing. I still recommend you come back to the beer in 2 more weeks and see.

Dude thats is very smart I will have to start doing that. Do you boil 1 pint in water when you do it?

yeah i did use the boiling water first, cool it, then add it to the bottling bucket, then rack the beer on top of it..... now... i just keg :)

Back