Will cold break be filtered by a mesh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moors

Reaction score
What if I used my 300μ hop basket to filter the chilled wort from the boil kettle to the fermenter? Would the mesh catch the cold break trub? Or is the trub loosely coagulated, so it'll simply break up in the mesh and pass through?

It would be a simple affair to hang the hop basket in the mouth of the fermenter and drain the kettle through the basket.

I pour my wort from the kettle through a mesh strainer to strain out the hops. You may have seen me do this at a few brew days ;) . Some of the hot break material gets caught in with the hop sludge, and some just ends up getting mixed in the wort. The strainer does get clogged up pretty well and I end up having to swirl it up to get it to finish draining. The mesh you are using is a bit finer and may result in more hot break material getting caught up in the hop sludge. It also may end up being a total pain in the arse and get clogged up way faster. Let me know how it works out.

Back