Will cider drop clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkEnough4U

Reaction score
Hey I accidentally asked in the recipe section but I started a cider with some Nottingham and cider 3 weeks ago and racked to secondary last week. Just wondering if I should wait until it drops clear or just for proper gravity? One guy did answer and said since it was cider it won't clear out.

20171023_205201.jpg

Mine usually drops clear, but I've never tried Nottingham. You can dissolve 1/2 tsp of unflavored gelatin in a half cup of water (nuke, stir, nuke, stir, etc. to about 150 or 160 degrees) and add it to the cider; should cause the yeast to drop out within a week.

I have some cider that's been going for about a week with S-33 yeast. It has slowed way down but it's still fermenting. It almost looks like milk it's so cloudy!

I don't actually mind if it's cloudy, just for me to drink mostly haha. I just like to know what to look for.

Gotta use pectic enzyme, cold crashing helps but time works wonders. Treat cider more like wine than beer. Do some searches on how to clear up fruit wines.

If I didn't care about clarity what's the time frame before bottling? It seems to vary so much in all tbe sesrches I've done.

I have some fermented on the wild yeast and at 2 months is clearing nicely.
I've found time can be my best friend when doing cider, I've had some sit for 10 months to a very nice crystal clear cider but I only use the wild yeast they had on it.
A cold crash, gelatin or bentonite will help if in a rush but bentonite will also remove some flavors from my readings.

The cider that I started 2 weeks ago that looked like milk with a little orange juice for color has just started to clear. The top couple inches in the jug are darker now, and you can almost see thru it. The bottom half is still milky, and the inches in between are in between, but for 2 weeks it looks pretty good.

Back