Will carbing continue if put in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
Just curious is carbing will continue if you put a bottle in the fridge or will that be the equivelent of cold crashing?

Yeasties go to sleep but CO2 absorption increases. Double edged sword.

so if i bottled on the 27th? you think 1 would have decent amount of carbonation if i put it in fridge for 24 hours? or should i wait until at least 3 weeks to try one?

I usually start sampling at about a week. I'm very impatient. If there is a thin layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottle it's probably got some CO2 in it.

I always try one at one and two weeks. But I make 8 gallon batches... I have enough bottles. 'wasting' two is worth settling my curiosity.

Plus I LOVE seeing how much a beer improves over time.

I think tasting early (even though you know its not ready) is important for learning about flavor development. If you taste things too early (like 1-2 weeks after bottling) you will know for future beers what "green" beer tastes like. So, for a high alcohol, strong beer, if it is 3 months old and you try one, you can decide whether or not it needs a lot more time to start drinking, or if it is pretty close. Also, like mentioned above, it is fun and interesting to see flavor development.

Back