Will an extremely alcoholic flavor fade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Right now I have a red ale inspired brew going in my primary. It's been there for 3 weeks, and I'm planning to bottle this upcoming weekend. However, after I took my hydro reading saturday I sampled the beer and noticed that it has a very alcoholic flavor. Now, I used a lot of malt, so it is going to have a bit higher alcohol content than is normal for the style. However, this is a bit too noticable. Will this flavor mellow with time with conditioning?

Yes it will, but depending on the ABV% it may take a year or more. Try it again before bottling and see if it tastes any better.

I agree with Lestershy, but I hope it won't take a year to mellow out. What is the estimated ABV%?
You could always dry hop to try to mask the alcohol flavor.

What was your starting gravity? When brewing high gravity beers it's more important than ever to keep your fermentation temperatures low. High fermentation temperatures can create harsh fusel alcohols. However depending on the gravity of the brew you can still end up with hot alcohols regardless of the temperature during fermentation. The good news is that given time these will mellow considerably.

The starting gravity was 1.068 since I used extract (very high for an irish red, I'm cutting down the malt next time). FG is appears to be hovering around 1.02. I can post the rest of the recipe if it'll help.

Temperature was controlled through the entire fermentation, approximately 65 degrees F.

maybe not a year -
3 weeks is pretty good- you are demonstrating patience - but with bigger beers - (1.068!) I'd leave it in the bucket/carboy for another 2-3, just to condition. Then bottle for 3-4. The alcohol taste will mellow out, the bubbles will aid in taste, mouthfeel, etc.

save a few to taste in 6 months - you'll be amazed.

The starting gravity was 1.068 since I used extract (very high for an irish red, I'm cutting down the malt next time). FG is appears to be hovering around 1.02. I can post the rest of the recipe if it'll help.

Temperature was controlled through the entire fermentation, approximately 65 degrees F.

Oh. No worries then. You shouldn't have any fusel alcohols. It's still just a little hot. Go ahead and bottle it up. Lay it down for 2 months and you'll be amazed.

Back