Will aerated beer get rid of the cardboard taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm747

Reaction score
I must have airated my last batch and it tastes like wet cardboard after 3+ weeks. Will it get better if I leave it? I read the threads about not ditching your beer, etc but I'm not sure if airated beer falls in this category of "getting better with time".

Thanks!

Tim

I'm afraid oxidation flavors won't go away. They will only get worse with time. They may, however, change a bit and become kind of sherry or port-like. Depending on the style it could be complimentary. What is the style? If it's not too bitter or hoppy, you could turn the batch into malt vinegar if you can't stand to drink it. Or use it for cooking.

Oxidized beer doesn't generally get better with age. It may even get worse over time, but just letting it sit for a long time won't reverse the effects of oxidation.

Being it's only been three or so weeks I'd still leave it and don't dump it yet. Just tuck it away in a dark corner for another month and concentrate on your next batch. Revisit the beer then and see if it's drinkable.

It's a double hophead IPA from Midwest. It's already kegged and cooled for a couple days. Can I pull it from the keg and put it in the basement to age or should I just leave it hooked up to the C02 and let it go in the kegerator?

I may have just ruined my AG batch too. I didn't purge the headspace before I force carb'd the keg. I just let the C02 in and shook. Ugghh...

The amount of o2 in the head headspace of a keg is not enough to oxidize beer. If you used co2 to push Sanitizer out taps or into keg then there will be co2 in keg which will displace o2.

I wouldn't worry.

I'm curious how poster oxidized his beer. It takes a LOT to do that.

I'd bet it's not oxidized, it's probably just not ready yet. As dracus said, it takes a lot to really oxidize a batch! However, if it is in fact oxidized it will not fade with time or get better in an IPA.

Let it sit for a few weeks, I'm sure it'll get better.

I'm not sure I oxidized it. I just know that it tastes like wet cardboard and assumed it was oxidized.

Can I pull the keg out of the kegerator and let it sit in the basement or now that's its chilled should it stay chilled?

Thanks!

Tim

Put this link in your favorites:

http://www.winning-homebrew.com/off-flavors.html

I had a slightly oxidized speed brew a couple of years ago.

I let it sit for about 2 years and sampled again. The wet cardboard flavor subsided some.

Instead of tossing it into the garden/yard I dry hopped it for about 2 weeks. It actually took the cardboard flavor away. I was really surprised that even burps did not taste like cardboard.

You can always try it. What do you have to lose except for an ounce of hops?

Back