Will a sharpie mark hold up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
Making a dip stick gallon measurer for our keggles. Wondering the best way to make the gallon marks? I think I have seen pictures of people with what look like sharpie marks but I would think those would dissolve off the stick if dipped into heated wort?

Some people etch the plastic with a Dremel or whatever, then sand it to make it smooth, then apply the ink, which should embed in the grooves better.

i've done both sharpie and sawed notches on a wooden dowel. The notices seem 'safer' though i have no reason to think that. It's not hard to notch the dowel, though. I think it took me all of 10 minutes and that was being anal about it.

I used a black sharpie on the outside of my kettle and it didn't wash off during cleanup. I didn't use a scrub pad, just a plastic scrub brush form the kitchen.

I would not use it for boiling liquid though. Of course I might if you want to try it and see what happens.

I can always get punches from work to mark the inside now that I think of it...

I used a sharpie on a nylon (or PE) mash stirrer from the HBS. It needed to be darkened up every few brews. I eventually ditched it in favor of a notched CPVC dipstick for my keggle, which cost me all of about $2 at the hardware store and never needs to be re-marked.

I just made notches with a knife. Works well too, as they really show up after you've dipped the stick/spoon in the wort.

Back