Will a sharpie mark hold up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dmbnpj

Reaction score
Making a dip stick gallon measurer for our keggles. Wondering the best way to make the gallon marks? I think I have seen pictures of people with what look like sharpie marks but I would think those would dissolve off the stick if dipped into heated wort?

alpo

Reaction score
Some people etch the plastic with a Dremel or whatever, then sand it to make it smooth, then apply the ink, which should embed in the grooves better.

Donner

Reaction score
i've done both sharpie and sawed notches on a wooden dowel. The notices seem 'safer' though i have no reason to think that. It's not hard to notch the dowel, though. I think it took me all of 10 minutes and that was being anal about it.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I used a black sharpie on the outside of my kettle and it didn't wash off during cleanup. I didn't use a scrub pad, just a plastic scrub brush form the kitchen.

I would not use it for boiling liquid though. Of course I might if you want to try it and see what happens.

I can always get punches from work to mark the inside now that I think of it...

jds

Reaction score
I used a sharpie on a nylon (or PE) mash stirrer from the HBS. It needed to be darkened up every few brews. I eventually ditched it in favor of a notched CPVC dipstick for my keggle, which cost me all of about $2 at the hardware store and never needs to be re-marked.

davesrose

Reaction score
I just made notches with a knife. Works well too, as they really show up after you've dipped the stick/spoon in the wort.