Will a keggle work on a stovetop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrFtr28

Reaction score
I searched but couldn't find an answer, so I figured I would ask here. I have a 7.75 gallon aluminum (I think) keg like the one pictured below, and I was thinking about using it on my stove top. Does anyone see a problem with this? I would assume it's not that much heavier than say a 30 qt pot.

lg_metalkeg.jpg

electric burner...no

natural gas...maybe

worth the time? no

get propane set-up

We have an electric stove in the kitchen and a NG stove in the basement. Ideally I would like to get set up to brew in the basement so I can brew year-round. Is it possible to remove the burner from the NG stove and rig it like a turkey fryer burner? Would the BTU's be enough to boil 6 gallons of wort? I'm guessing not efficiently.

You'd be surprised what you can find brew worthy in the used section of a restaurant supply or a restaurant and hotel liquidator.

So long as your willing to deep clean with a chisel.

btw, I don't have one of these.

I have thrown my 15.5 keggle on the kitchen gas stove after running out of propane (was a parti-gyle day, so both propane tanks were in use) It keep a very low boil going on a 5 gal batch.

I'm not opposed to tearing apart the gas stove and rigging some type of contraption where I can place the keggle above two burners simultaneously. I work for a company that manufactures plasma cutting tables, so I have access to some pretty cool tools and materials. :ban:

i couldnt get 4.5 gallons of water to boil in a 5.5 gallon pot on top of my natural gas stove. so i would say no.

my last brewday I heated strike water indoors so I could talk to people before doughing in.

mistake. my brew kettle was half an inch off of the electric burner...I noticed about 45 minutes later when it seemed excessively hot in the kitchen.

embarassing!:eek:

So there's no problem as long as I can get the wort to boil, and keep it boiling somewhat efficiently? I guess the only way to find out for sure is to do a trial with plain water.

i couldnt get 4.5 gallons of water to boil in a 5.5 gallon pot on top of my natural gas stove. so i would say no.

And I had no problem with 7.5 in my 8.5 gallon aluminum on my gas stove.

Its going to depend on the stove. You just gotta try and see if it works.

See if you can find the BTU rating on your burner. I make 5 gallon batches and can get a full rolling boil on my stove. It has a "Hi Output" burner that's rated at 15,000 BTU's.

Back