Will a higher psi regulator provide more heat for the same burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Several of my brewing buddies and wanting to jump to all grain and have asked me if the size of the propane regulator significantly affect the amount of heat supplied by the burner? They are looking at turkey fryers with a regulator at 5 or 10 psi and want to know if using a 15 psi regulator will significantly improve the heat output of the turkey fryer. To be honest I want to know the answer to this question because I don't know.

That's going to largely depend on the burner - specifically how much make-up air it can pull in at high gas flow rates. Some burners do pretty well across a rather wide range of flow rates (eg: the BG-14, which folks have run from .5psi up to 30psi). Others not so much.

If you know the model burners you could post that info and see if anyone's running higher than 10psi with it...

Cheers!

In theory, yes. The more fuel you burn, the more BTU's you get.
But, like day trippr said, you need to mix enough air with the fuel to make it burn clean.
The only way to know is by trying it.

Your standard turkey fryer burner will likely blow out and not work at higher than 10psi. It's not made for that kind of flow.

Take the cost of new hoses and regulator and buy a new burner.

I have used a standard turkey burner for 10gal batch with a keggle BIAB. Worked, took a little while to get a boil, but it worked fine.

The one caveat I believe gets lost the most is, what altitude do you live at? If you live at sea level you can, within reason, double your LPG pressure to most burners. Now here is where it gets interesting, the "turkey fryer" is the SP10 style, and is supposed to produce 50K btu with a 5 psi regulator, but BC now says a 10 psi regulator will do 50K btu. Your guess is as good as mine. Mine has a 5 psi regulator, at 4200 ft, and with 10 gallons of wort, wide open just makes boil overs.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am sort of having the same questions. I just built a version of "Wallace the Brewstand" and want to run 2 burners, one for HLT and the other for Boil. I will continue to mash in a cooler.

I was looking at this regulator to run the 2 burners (this looks much easier and cheaper than building a manifold and will serve my purpose).

My questions: is 10psi enough to run 2 burners (neither will be running full out at the same time) and what burners should I consider? I usually heat mash water in HLT, then mash in, during mash, I heat sparge water, then boil, so 1 burner will only be running at a time, unless I am doing two batches, then I might be heating mash water and boiling at the same time.

I have looked at some bayou burners that say they need 30psi, will these still work? How many BTUs do I need for each burner?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The nature of the questions being asked here tells me that the questioners should not be making decisions about gas/propane equipment. It's not rocket science but if you do something wrong the analogy to rockets can become a reality. Please, please seek the advice of someone who knows what he is doing here.

Yes it will burn hotter, I have 3 BG10 burners that I run with a 20psi reg and they burn much hotter than my Bayou classic with the same burner and a 10psi reg.

If they are only doing 5 gallon batches a 10psi reg is plenty, I can bring 7 gallons of water to a boil in less than 20 mins with my turkey fryer.

Back