Will a 1/2 hp sump pump work on a barley crusher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrrrkva

Reaction score
I was looking at motors and came across a 1/2 HP Sears motor from a pedestal sump pump. Runs at 1725 rpms and I was going to reduce by 10:1. Do dump pumps work on the bc.

How would you mount the motor. It has no base or anything to bolt it to. Does have 4 threaded rods that run thru the motor length wise.

How would you mount the motor. It has no base or anything to bolt it to. Does have 4 threaded rods that run thru the motor length wise.

Your motor has no base whatsoever? Hmn..

My best guess would be some zip ties!

Or, take 2 10 inch lengths of 2x4 and make an L-joint. Find some screws long enough to go through the motor length-wise like you stated to secure it against the upright segment of the joined 2x4s. Then bolt the bottom length flush to your surface.

Ta-daa!

Guess what, the motor turn COUNTER clock wise...... Any easy fixes??? I know I could turn it around so the motor and the BC face each other but..... I just wont feel good about it...

a possible problem might be the bearings, usually the bearings in centrifugal pump motors aren't very robust and aren't designed to take side loads..

Guess what, the motor turn COUNTER clock wise...... Any easy fixes??? I know I could turn it around so the motor and the BC face each other but..... I just wont feel good about it...

There's a pretty good chance you just reverse the polarities to the motor. If you can open it up, switch the black + red wires. This will make it spin in the other direction!

Back