Wild yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewboy04

Reaction score
So I am planning on using some wild yeast from my garden. I am using dme water and gelatine to make an agar. I usually add some lemon Juice to act as an acid to prevent bacterial grow but I have some penicillin from the doc. Has anyone ever added this to thre agar mixture to prevent bacteria grow?

im curious how this works; how do you culture the garden yeast; and then how do you know that whatever grows on your plate is yeast? ive made plenty of plates with antibiotic, and every once in awile we would get colonies on there that wernt supposed to be there

You sit the 'agar' out open in the garden for s few hours and then allow Colonies to grow. It's then down to luck what grows and experience to identify what it is. There is always bacterial strains which are resistant to the antibiotic but that's A chance we we take. I then use a starter to get a suitable cell count

Back