Wild yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i have put out some jars with wort and got yeast producing within the first day. Im kind of confused as to how to use the yeast..

Do i dump the yeast straight from the jar that i collected it in or is there some sort washing i have to do or what? Really confused with this wild yeast thing.

ANY TIPS AND REPLY WILL HELP!!

THANKs!!!

If it is only one day I dont think its yeast, someone more knowledgeable will have chime in here. When your sure you have yeast if it smells good you could dump the whole thing in for a starter, or refrigerate and decant the liquid, either way works.

You need to let it go a lot longer - the first organisms to occupy a wild ferment are not yeast, and instead are nasty bacteria. I have a fairly extensive blog post on this, if you care to read all the nitty-gritty.

Long story short, its going to take 4 weeks or more for strong strains of fermentative wild yeast to predominate in your wort. Even after years, certain bacteria will remain mixed in with the wild yeast. At the 4-6 week mark you should have a good 'starter' of wild yeast+ not-so-nasty bacteria; if you want pure wild yeast (without bacteria) you need to do some additional isolations, like I describe in these blog posts: 1, 2.

Hope that helps.

Bryan

Back