Wild yeast test batch recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmshipe

Reaction score
I'm ready to take the plunge and put my harvested wild yeast to the test on a 1 gallon batch of saison.

I've got the following malts in stock. Can you guys help me put together a ratio of these for a simple recipe? The intent here is to make something simple that will let the yeast shine. So far, the step-ups have been quite citrusy with good esters. To this point, I've only fermented it at about 68-72, but for this batch I'll turn up the heat a bit and see what I can get out of it. I'm just really not good at building recipes.

• Briess Pils DME
  • Plain wheat (55% wheat, 45% barley) DME
  • Plain Light DME
  • Turbinado
  • Honey
  • Flaked oats

As for hops, i've got Hallertau, Tettnanger, and Centennial.

Thoughts?

IMG_4285.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

Pils and hallertau or tettnang er will do. Keep it simple and let the yeast shine

When I captured some wild yeast I made a test gallon recipe that worked well.

I used 1lb Pils DME, 1/2 lb wheat DME, Hopped it with Strisslespalt hops to 27 IBU's. So from your hops I would choose the Hallertau or Tettnanger.

Here is the post from when I did mine. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=419725

I have been using this yeast for a couple of years now. Love having my own house strain.

That's awesome, and pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I'll be following a very similar recipe, using the Hallertau. Thanks!

Back