Wild hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwwvgolf

Reaction score
Hi all
So I have seen some wild hops growing very near me (in the uk)
What are you thoughts on using them in a brew as I have no idea what type they would be. How would I know how much to use as they Are wild? Like will they be as 'strong' as ones I would buy online?

Cheers!

The ones you buy online vary in AA based on hop so I guess yes they will be as 'strong' as the ones you buy online. Only problem is that you dont know what type of hops they are so yo wont know the AA%. With that said, I would either forgo them or use them as aroma or dry hops

From my understanding there are ornamental hops that are grown for looks in a garden but are pretty much worthless for brewing. You could get some crush, smell, feel them. Try them in a test batch. Since any hop that is not analyzed is of unknown AA% it is best to use something that is known for bittering. Use these for flavor/aroma.

I'm planning on doing a maris otter SMaSH with some wild hops I have. I figure it'll be the best way to figure out what they're like. Just by breaking them open and smelling them I get a little citrus. They're not quite as floral as my cascades were.

yes i will try and head over to it this morning and see what they look like and give them a sniff :)

also makes sense to not use for bittering!
cheers for the help guys. havent brewed for over a year so will wait till these are ready and give them ago i think

If you do decide to use them just use some Magnum or warrior for bittering and use the wild hops for whirlpool

To test flavor and aroma you can make a hop tea in a french press. It may help you decide if they are even worth using.

Hi all, I found some wild hops in Bend Or. Growing on a cyclon fence. I don't know what kind they are but I picked about a pound or so and dried them. The plants were about 40-50 yards long and well established, and the cones were Between 1 1/2"- 2 inches long. I used them in an IPA and a Pale Ale and they turned out awsome. I used the hops after the 45 min. Boil and after the Boil. I then dry hopped five days before bottling and it was awsome. I ve decided, due to limited growing space that I'm going to plant some starters along some frontteg road and in some parks close by and watch what they do.

Back