"Wild hops"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruscandoli

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I am studing Horticulture and I am passionate about hops.
In Uk "hops"(humulus lupulus) are introduced in 1600 by flemish farmer, to improve the quality of production for beer, only female plants. Some clever farmer realise that cones for beer are heavier if fertilised, forming seeds(dioceuos plant, female plant and male plant). From the originally few cultivars (i.e. Styrian, Bavarian etc) in 1880 in UK about 150 varieties where develloped and cultivation trials started all over the World. Latest citrus flavored and dwarf varieties for farming. Australia, China, States.
Reversion is a process of plants returning to original specie"truth Specie" using cross fertilization.
Wild hop in English dictionary indicate Brionia spp. a poisonous toxic perennial climber. Probably in your country the meaning is different.
I would like to suggest, as a "foraging expert" that you use the correct name, people can get poisoned! Please.
Hop shoots are only produced by Hops plants, Humulus lupulus , are are know regionally in northen Italy as "bruscandoli" (Venice), "luvertin" Piedmont.
I am collaborating with Petersham Nurseries Restaurant in London, as reference. I love Hops! Be good. Nice web.
Today went out in Kent and come back with some fantastic reddish and cruncy Hop shoots and half a dozen eggs, along with a nice springtime walk. Finally! About 2 weeks later than usual!! Ciao a Tutti

Back