wild hops near Albany NY?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonRunkel

Reaction score
Does anybody have a line on some wild hops near Albany NY? I am looking to dig up a rhizome or two.

Thanks.

PS, I have looked around Thatcher park on their Hop Trail... Unless I'm blind that trail is misnamed. I also looked around parts of Grafton lakes.. Nothing.

I think I found some. No clue what variety, or if male or female.

I took some cuttings and am rooting them now. Wish me luck.

They were in an urban setting by my wife's salon in Latham. They were just growing out of the ground (duh) between a telephone pole and looked like they had Been weed wacked pretty severely. I clipped the only long green bine and pulled some other old bines that had some growth and roots. I'm trying to root both the bine and the bine/stick parts.

I believe Cluster hops are the most commonly discovered "wild" brewer's hops from coast to coast. As up-state NY was once the epicenter of hop farming it wouldn't be surprising to come across random stands. Same thing with Vermont...

Cheers!

Does anybody have a line on some wild hops near Albany NY? I am looking to dig up a rhizome or two.

Thanks.

Hi do you know what kind of tree this is?? I live in upstate New York and its in my backyard. Thank you for any help. Tina
hop tree.JPG

Back