Wild Cider Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biochemedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So in 2012 I had a little over a half gallon of cider that I had sitting in my kegerator that started to go crazy on it's own, and I eventually took it out and let it finish...it ended up suprisingly good! I bottled a scant two bottles, and then the dregs of the container that this all occurred in.

I just recently got some new fresh cider, and have some left over and am planning on pitching the dregs on a gallon of cider. Here's the questions:

1) Should I put this back in the kegerator after pitching, seeing as this is how it all started, or should I ferment this at regular temps?

2) Should I oxygenate the cider, as per my usual fermentation protocols, or leave it as it was naturally?

I think you should make a starter since it's 2 years old.

Sounds like the yeast likes cold.

Maybe a starter abc oxygen but put it job the fridge as soon as it starts fermenting.

Good thought on the starter...maybe I will do that, but I'm not really sure how much of this is yeast vs other bugs...which makes me think about how much the temp will come into play. I've wondered whether I would get too much bacterial influence if fermented at room temp as opposed to kegerator temp. It is definitely very acetic in the background, and I wouldn't want that to be any more prominent...it's just right the way it turned out.

Drop some sulfite in there, a half dose to inhibit the bacterias but maybe let the yeasts keep going. WVMJ

Back