Wild Brown Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2brew1cup

Reaction score
Ok so around two years ago I brewed two 5 gallon batches of a hearty Brown Ale. I hit one with Vanilla bean and the other with emulsified coffee beans. I then exposed both to maltolactic bacteria. The OG of both was 1.053. Aided in both with Beano I have reache 1.011. The aroma off the beers is absolutely amazing. My question to HBT is how should I wake these brews up to carb and bottle?

1 - Why beano?

2 - Malolactic bacteria? - Did it have large amts of malic acid? thats what malolactic bacteria do, they convert malic acid to lactic acid which doesnt have the same bite

3 - what did you ferment with?

Notty in both. And the Beano was for breaking down any rogue long chain sugars. And yes on the acid. Ps how do I awake the beast to bottle?

If it is fermented dry just repitch it prime and bottle if not pitch it allow it to ferment out and prime and bottle.

NP spunds like a neat brew though, I have played with malolactic fermentations before, never for that length of time

Notty in both. And the Beano was for breaking down any rogue long chain sugars. And yes on the acid. Ps how do I awake the beast to bottle?

How did it have malic acid in it?

Nothing else was in there besides notty and malolactic bacteria?

Lol.. Malic acid is something that is in cider and also in wine (although more tartaric acid there). A malolactic culture processes malic acid in less acidic lactic acid. Beer doesn't have malic acid in any significant quantities. The other thing is that MLC produces craploads of diacetyl, more so than any ale yeast. Some MLCs do contain lactobacillus though. Which one did you use?

Lactobacillus naturally. Either way it tastes very good. It's a nice rounded sourness. Adding cherries now 2 years in. Bottling and conditioning shortly (a relative term in the Oud World)

Bringing me bak to m question.. Will cherries be enough fuel for the bottling yeast to carb off of? How do I rack under the infection without getting it in bottles?

Back