Wife's Away Brewing v2.0 Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
SWMBO's away again this weekend, so its time for another multiple brew weekend. I'm not going to brew 5 again though, just 3 this time. I want to make the most of it because we're moving soon, so I won't be able to brew for 1-2 months. Here goes:

1. Saison, 3711 VSS French Saison w/ RR bugs: ~1.067 SG; 75% Pils, 15% Sugar, 5% Wheat Malt, 5% Munich. Hallertau @ 60,15,5 min's. Mash @ 148F

2. Berliner Weisse, 3191 VSS Berliner Blend: 1.036 SG; ~50/50-Wheat/Pils, Hallertau to 5 IBU's, Single(?) decoction no-boil method( like the 6th post down: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=53415&highlight=berliner)

3. JW Lees Harvest Ale Clone(Sorta'), Irish Ale or Nottingham: 1.113 SG; 86% Maris Otter, 4% Crystal 40, 10% Belgian Dark Candi Syrup. East Kent Goldings @ 60, 15 mins. Mash @ 150F ~70 IBU's

The JW Lees is from clone brews but I'm adding Dark Candi to add toffee/caramel complexity and hopefully have a drier/less sweet final beer. I like barleywine's a bit drier, and don't like making them too bitter to balance the sweetness. The beer will be too dark for the style, but I don't care. It should taste like a BW, just with a different complexity.

Whatya' think? Any changes/improvements/advice?

All 3 sound tasty. I made a BW about 2 weeks ago as well. Did something a little different with this one. The first one I pitched the yeast and the bacteria at the same time, so the bacteria was kinda bidin it's time until some alcohol was produced. That was Pedio. This time, I let the fermentation go for about 1-2 days, then dumped in the bacteria (Lacto). What bacteria are you using for your BW? 3-5 batches at a time? You got my nod!!! I only do 10 gallons/month.

Back