Wife likes my green apple beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilhomer

Reaction score
Sampled my first homebrew a little early. It's about 5 days short of being bottled for 3 weeks. I wanted to check one and make sure it carbonated correctly before I bottled my 2nd batch. Cap came off with a pssst and it poured a nice head so apparently I bottled it right.

Didn't care for the taste too much, a little green apple flavor to it. For my first try I did a very basic amber dme batch, nothing else other then hops and some irish moss.

So I asked my wife what she thought without telling her I didn't like it. She thought it was great and I let her drink the rest. She also said it was strong and gave her a good buzz. My wife is a lightweight but the gravity readings say its only a 4.7%.

I did a 3 week primary only at 68° with 2 days in my 50° garage before bottling.

I've read the apple flavor could go away with time. Here's some things I've since learned I did wrong, could these have contributed?

First 30 minutes of wort boil I had the lid on.

I'm an experienced home baker so I pitched the yeast while the wort was a little warm for beer, possibly as high as 90°. Airlock was bubbling away within 4 hours with the US-05.

Give it time. Green apple is almost always green beer (or infection), but if it wasn't a yucky, cidery mess, it'll clean up with time.

Back