Wife got me 1G Brooklyn Brew Shop kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurfChris

Reaction score
Been into craft beer for pry almost 9 years. Don't know why I never really looked into any of the kits. So wifey got me this. Searching on here saw various recommendations of what else to use/add. The kit comes with: grain/hops/yeast, racking cane, thermometer, tubing clamp, glass fermenting jug, cleanser, airlock, clear vinyl tubing, screw-cap stopper.

Says it needs six quart pot (have a nice set and pretty sure my large one is at least 6 quart), fine mesh strainer (don't have), and funnel (guessing any funnel will do?)

Anything extra I should use? I read people saying to get an auto-siphon, and then I saw a bottle filler. Which should I get?
Auto-Siphon
Bottle Filler

It already comes with a thermometer, but saw people mention a hydrometer and fermometer as well? And would a swamp cooler be need for this? I keep the house generally 76-77, though windows open right now and a/c off since it's cooler for next few days and we live on the water so get that nice breeze. But if it's hot, 76-77 generally, since it should be below 70 for the beer, guessing a swamp cooler is a good idea?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you need both. If you want to bottle, you need the filler. You have to syphon to rack to a bottling bucket, normally. Congrats on your first brew!

Hydrometer is a must to cut out a lot of guess work during the fermentation. Read up on them and then buy one. It'll save you a lot of wondering.

The auto siphon just makes things easier as does the bottle filler. The process is possible without them but if you plan on pursuing this hobby you will want them.

As for your temp its a bit warm for most brews. Lagers of course ferment ideally in the low 50's and ales 60-70 though most suggest the low end of that range. Both will definitely ferment at your ambient temperature but having temperatures that are too high can cause off flavors and very active fermentations which can cause it to foam up and cause a mess. Swamp cooler would be a good choice to maintain the right temp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

If you like brewing and continue with one gal kits, get a muslin bag to put your grains in during mash.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Also- last year my wife gave me a BBS kit for valentines day. I've been hooked since!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I got the same kit for my birthday from my wife. Definitely recommend the auto siphon. Also, I did my first couple kits using the strainer method in the instructions, but ended up with low efficiencies and really cloudy brews, with deep trub cakes. I scoured the net and built a 2 gallon mash/lauter tun and my next brew (Chocolate Porter) was phenomenal, smaller trub, cleaner brew, and it had a punch. Since then, Ive expanded by 3 more gal. Carboys with a 1 week rotation and tomorrow, Im heading out to a HBS to pick up a 3 gallon setup and ingredients for a Shocktop clone. Welcome to the addiction....just have fun!

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Home Brew mobile app

I got the same kit for my birthday from my wife. Definitely recommend the auto siphon. Also, I did my first couple kits using the strainer method in the instructions, but ended up with low efficiencies and really cloudy brews, with deep trub cakes. I scoured the net and built a 2 gallon mash/lauter tun and my next brew (Chocolate Porter) was phenomenal, smaller trub, cleaner brew, and it had a punch. Since then, Ive expanded by 3 more gal. Carboys with a 1 week rotation and tomorrow, Im heading out to a HBS to pick up a 3 gallon setup and ingredients for a Shocktop clone. Welcome to the addiction....just have fun!

Is this what you made -> 2 Gallon Mash/Lauter or did you follow something else? Finding lots of tips before I start, somehow when I searched originally I didn't notice the huge BBS thread lol. Looks like people say to use 2tbs honey instead of 3 as you'll risk the bottles exploding... don't think wifey would be happy lol

Apologize for not getting back to your question faster. I added a pic of what I made. As far as the question about honey for bottling, yes, my 1st experience with the 3 TBP of honey, I had gushers. It could have been imcomplete fermentation because the beer was really sweet, but since I have reduced to 2 TBSp and my carb seems perfect on my last 2 batches.

1392535422164.jpg

Better late then never, just haven't had the time and honestly forgot about this for awhile lol. So finally getting around to it, think I'm going to go BIAB route though to make it easier vs multi step and multiple pots etc for the kit, and read the efficiency etc is far better BIAB route. Going to build a bottling bucket to make it easier to fill the bottles.

So anything else I need? Going to order the Fermometer Strip and Hydrometer. Still confused about whether or not I'll need the mini auto siphon or will the racking cane that came with the kit work to fill the bottling bucket fine? Or what other route will be easiest to fill the bottling bucket from the car boy?

Still a little confused on the temps though, looks like I need to make a swamp cooler. I live in South FL, so have the a/c on right now, but in a week or so it looks like it'll cool down so I'll have the windows open to let that awesome water breeze in lol (just had them open and a/c off for 3 weeks till it got to warm last week). So the temps can fluctuate in my house lol, when it was chillier woke up and the readout was showing the house in the 60s and low 70s with window open, have a/c at 77 right now.

Back