Wierd flakes in my extract boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExplosiveJoseph

Reaction score
I just brewed an all extract APA and used hop sacks. At the end of the boil I've found odd flakes of something in the beer. It's not hops or grains and I'm not sure what they are. I've looked around on the computer but found no results. Anyone have any clues?

Very clean. I'm obsessed with sanitation and cleanliness. It seems as though the flakes were clumped together and when I moved the pot to chill it they broke up. Before I found the hop sacks at the bottom I thought they had disintegrated and I was very freaked out. Now I'm just confused

If they are black flakes, you burnt your extract when you poured it in. When I poured in the extract on my first ever batch, I didn't know I had to stir and it sank right to the bottom. The beer turned out surprisingly well. Do you have any pictures?

It's a poor picture but they are lighter colored flakes. They look like grain but I used none. Ed, I dont know what break material is. Can you explain?

image-1253167012.jpg

i just read about whirlpooling. i can just use my sanitized spoon and create a whirlpool then rack the wort. if not, i can transfer into primary and allow it all to fall to the bottom. does this sound right?

Back