I am hitting my OG's, but the FG seems to be off by about 5 points or so. This just doesn't make sense to me. I am using a starter with Wyeast or WL. Not sure how I can make an improvement on this. Thoughts?
+1...I have never used that much Carapils. Recently I haven't been using any, but I used to only use about 1/2lb in the past...the_bird said:That's a LOT of Carapils, especially combined with a high-ish mash temp.
I've never really felt the need to use a lot of Carapils. Basically, it adds unfermentable dextrines to add body and head retention. You can have more long-chain dextrines by keeping your mash temp high (like you have, at 155°). I'd wager that the combination of the 10% carapils and the high mash temp is resulting in a wort with a lot of unfermentable sugars. Drop the Carapils (or maybe keep a half-pound or so), drop the mash temp to 152° (dependant on recipe, of course), and you'll pick up some attenuation.
It's not really cheating, it's about control. I've never found the difference between 149 and 155 to be all that reliable, but the inclusion or lack thereof of carapils is. To each his own, though...maybe I'm the Roger Clemens of homebrewing, but I like to use carapils.Beerthoven said:I don't use Carapils at all. I think it was developed for use by large breweries who cannot easily change their mash temps to achieve higher body. Seems like an unnecessary cheat for homebrewers.
Oh, MAN! If this was in one of the off-topic forums, I've got a punchline all lined up to go! DAMMIT!Evan! said:...maybe I'm the Roger Clemens of homebrewing, but I like to use carapils.