Why won't my Keg vet carbed??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatherdan

Reaction score
Over a week at 30psi no leaks??

I've used this keg before. There is definitely co2_because the keg is pressurized.

It's a pale ale.

Thanks

Over a week at 30psi no leaks??

I've used this keg before. There is definitely co2_because the keg is pressurized.

It's a pale ale.

Thanks
Did you leave the gas turned on and connected to the keg the whole time? What temperature is the keg at? A cooled keg @ 30psi for a week would be severely overcarbed. There's something you haven't told us that is critical to what's going on.

Brew on :mug:

keg is hooked up. ill check for more leaks. the keg is not leaking I can pull the relief valve and theres plenty of co2 rushing out???

Are you carbonating at room temperature or serving temperature?

How full is the keg? If it's right up to the PRV, for instance, the reduced gas/beer interface area is going to slow things way down.
Although even then, a week chilled and at 30psi you'd think it'd be carbed by now...

Cheers!

Something's clearly not adding up. What exactly is your set up? You say you have another keg pouring fine - is that one on a secondary coming off of this same regulator? Did you carb that one the same way off of this 30 psi line? Are there any carbonation bubbles at all, or how are you defining "not carbed".

Could the gas post or connect be blocked/jammed?

If you let gas out through the release valve, do you hear more gas flow in?

Yes I hear co2 rush in when I pull release valve. its probably at 4.5 gall now from me pulling test cups. could I be low on co2?? If it was overcarbed wouldn't it be carbed if I let it trickle out at 2psi?

Is the beer coming out of the tap super foamy but the beer itself is totally flat? If so, your beer is over carbed.

I just finished fighting this with a Saison. At least I think that was what was going on. I was also suspicious that I had some junk in the liquid line/tap assembly that could have been disrupting the flow and causing the CO2 to burst out of solution. I cleaned the tap line, hooked the keg back up, and the beast burped once and was emptied. Mystery unresolved but I have a clean tap line.

Todd

I just finished fighting this with a Saison. At least I think that was what was going on. I was also suspicois that I had some junk in the liquid line/tap assebly that could have been disruption the flow and causing the CO2 to burst out of solution. I cleaned the tap line, hooked the keg back up, and the beast burped once and was emptied. Mystery unresolved but I have a clean tap line.

Todd

I overcarbed my first couple kegged beers and it was driving me crazy trying to figure out what was happening. Coming out very foamy, even when I dropped PSI to 2, and then beer was totally flat. I was following the "30psi for 1-2 days and then drop to serving pressure" plan, but it didn't occur to me that this was for 5 gallon batches. My batches were 2.5 gallons. Now I just use the set and forget method at serving pressure, or 30psi for 24 hours on 5 gallon batches.

Edit: along with you, I thought it was probably something wrong with my keezer. I got longer lines and everything but nothing fixed it.

Try putting the gas on the liquid out post and "burping" the keg. You'll feed CO2 through the liquid diptube and it'll come in contact with the beer better as it flows through the liquid.

Yeah I know all the common sense stuff. I guess I had enough co2 to convince me I wasn't out of co2.

I was out of co2……….....

Thanks for all of your replies

Back