Why wait until secondary for oak chips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squegeeboo

Reaction score
Hey guys, all the advice I'm finding on adding oak chips is basically this:

1. Soak 2ish ounces (for a 5 gallon batch) in your favorite whiskey/scotch for at least 2 weeks.
2. Add the chips in during secondary after fermentation

Is there a real reason for waiting until fermentation is complete? Or can I just add right into primary the same day I'm brewing?

I dont think you need to soak the chips for more than a day or two, the chips are only going to take up so much liquid. I add the chips diring secondary. Right or not, my feeling on it is that chips are difficult to properly sanitize and after primary fermentation you may be less likely to get an infection. also, i think all the outgassing occuring during primary fermentation removes some flavor and aromas which is the primary purpose of adding oak chips, eh?
There is a very good possibilty that everything i mentioned is complete bull**** but you asked why and for my pruposes this is why.

I think it's more that you want the chips in there for a predictable amount of time, to avoid over-oaking. Time to complete primary is not always predictable. Hence, you want primary done before you oak so you don't have to open it up and remove the chips before primary is completed.

I think it's more that you want the chips in there for a predictable amount of time, to avoid over-oaking. Time to complete primary is not always predictable. Hence, you want primary done before you oak so you don't have to open it up and remove the chips before primary is completed.

This, but no need to rack to another vessel for chips. You don't want your beer on them for very long.

On top of what's already been mentioned I'd say you keep it out of primary for the same reason we dry hop in secondary. Fermentation is going to blow quite a bit of aroma and some flavor right out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Why move to secondary? Just wait for primary to be done or close to. No need to move the beer and risk infection/oxygenation.

Back