Why use LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterse

Reaction score
From all I have read here, DME is in all ways superior to LME (maybe a bit messier but that's a neglegible issue) And yet nearly every published extract recipe I read uses about 75% LME and 25% DME. Why the bias toward LME? Does it have any advantages? I have a BYO issue of 150 clone recipes of commercial beers and every single one uses a majority LME. I just brewed Biermunchers blonde using hos all DME recipe and it looks great, nearly spot on color. And I found it easier to use then goopy LME. So what's the best way?

The problem with LME is that it is darker than DME so if you are trying to make a lightly colored beer, you want to use LME, if you are making something dark like a porter it doesn't matter as much.

Fresh LME is as good as DME. On a point basis, LME is cheaper, but DME has a longer shelf life. There is also a broader range of LME's. Recipes often use both, mainly because LME is often sold in pre-packaged quantities and it's a real pain to measure. So, you use LME as a base to save money & use DME to make up the SG.

As Donasay mentions, making very pale beers with LME is tough.

Recipes often use both, mainly because LME is often sold in pre-packaged quantities and it's a real pain to measure. So, you use LME as a base to save money & use DME to make up the SG.

I hadn't considered that, that makes a lot of sense.

The main reason for using LME is that it is cheaper than DME.

Fresh LME is just as good as DME, so that is not a problem either. It is only that DME stores much better so if the ME is old or not stored properly a beer made with DME will be better than the same made with LME.

Recipes mix the 2 because as mentioned LME comes in prepacked containers of fixed sizes while DME is usually in bulk and is easier to repackage. The majority of the fermentables are sold in the kit as LME to keep the cost down, and the remainder is measured for bulk DME.

Craig

The problem with LME is that it is darker than DME so if you are trying to make a lightly colored beer, you want to use LME, if you are making something dark like a porter it doesn't matter as much.

This depends on what kind of LME versus DME you are comparing.

Keep in mind that DME is made from LME.

If you use fresh LME, not canned LME from another country, You will have excellent results.

You can do a late addition and have even better results.

DME costs more than LME so people buy LME because of price.

Forrest

Gentlemen,

I used LME for 12-13 years before going over to DME.
What made this change was coming home from 5 months in the hospital
and upon opening one of my 5 gallon buckets of LME,
finding 2" of white mold on top!
I used it anyway as that was all I had, but it tasted bad.
"I sure needed me a beer."

After a few years of using DME and brewing the best ale I have ever brewed with it,
I realize 'FRESH LME', tastes alright
and I miss the buckets LME comes in,
of about 3-4 gallon capacity.
They make perfect watering containers for my poultry.
I cut a hole in the side where they can stick their heads
and shoulders in and drink,
but with the round cap and handle for the top,
they can sit on top of it,
and they do sxxx all over it,
but they can't 'sxxx' in the water, see?

I will order several buckets of LME in
'my big November Homebrew supply run'.
And thanks for the idea of 'mixing the two, why not?
I steep speciality grains in my wort too.

Tschuß

J. Winters VonKnife
http://jacksknifeshop.tripod.com/

Personally, I prefer LME because I don't care about color and I find it easier to work with. I buy ingredients usually the morning I'm brewing.

I think a fair portion of the people here get their ingredients online, and if I were getting things shipped, I'd probably be inclined towards the longer shelf life and increased stability of DME, too, but since I buy it at my LHBS, it ain't worth it.

Leprachaun Dude,

Yup, I buy my 'stuff' {shhh}
from the Homebrew headquarters in Dallas.
I just talked to old Chris from there on the phone,
comparing LME, DME,
and possibly going to whole grain to save money.
It seems they are all about the same except whole grain is a lot more work.
It is essential to have a human to 'relate to' about homebrewing.
and I have been brewing for 15 years.
Hell, I will just have to make more knives thats all.
Anybody need a knife?
I have 53 skinners and stabbers,
be ready for X-mas!

J. Winters VonKnife
http://jacksknifeshop.tripod.com/

Going AG can save some money on per-batch ingredients IF you buy base malt in bulk. Slightly more work, more time. And you can ALWAYS blow money on equipment whether you do extract or AG!

I used LME for a belgian wit and the color is very close to what its supposed to be. Late extract addition can do wonders.

And yet nearly every published extract recipe I read uses about 75% LME and 25% LME. ?

Wouldn't that be 100% LME usage?

If LME is darker than DME, then why would I want to use LME if I am trying to make a lightly colored beer?

This thread is hard to follow with all the inconsistencies and/or typos. Very difficult for new or inexperience brewers to get valid questions answered if we don't post accurate information.

Whoops, thought I had fixed that. Fixed now. Meant to say 75% LME and 25% DME. And yes, you are correct. LME is said to make light beers darker and that is what has been my experience. I just finished a light blonde using 100% DME and it has a very good light color. Also used about 2/3 of the DME as a late addition.

I appologize for any confusion I may have caused. I don't know if it's just me or not but for some reason I always want to transpose those 2 things. I know LME stands for Liquid Malt Extract, but whenever I see it printed as LME I think of dry, don't know why.

Back