Why use late hop additions when dry hopping?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

strambo

Reaction score
As I'm getting ready to do my 1st dry-hop I had a thought. If you are going to dry hop anyway, why bother with 5 minute or flame out additions? Since the best aroma is from the dry-hop, why not save the late hops and just do the bittering and flavor additions? What am I missing?

Buna_Bere

Reaction score
The flavor and aroma from a 5 minute or 0 minute addition is different from a dry hop addition. Some of the hop compounds if boiled for more than 2 minutes will boil off, and some compounds can't be extracted at dry hop temperatures. I can tell you the biggest improvement I've made to my hop aroma and flavor has been adding a nice 2 oz addition right at 0 minutes.

Here's an awsome article explaining it better than I can
http://beersensoryscience.wordpress.com/2012/02/16/linalool-fresh-and-floral-hop-aroma/

OP
S

strambo

Reaction score
Nice! That was exactly the type of info I was looking for. So...it would make sense to me to do 20-15 min flavor additions, then go straight to 0 minute for the linalool compounds, then dry hop?

I don't want to waste hops in additions where they aren't contributing much just because that is the way it has always been done.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
late hops are kind of a new thing. I generally go for some 60 minute bittering hops, then 10 and 5 minutes for flavor and aroma, then dry hop for aroma.

It costs more to do late hops, but I would never call it a waste. In my opinion that is the BEST time to add hops.

headbanger

Reaction score
late hops are kind of a new thing. I generally go for some 60 minute bittering hops, then 10 and 5 minutes for flavor and aroma, then dry hop for aroma.

It costs more to do late hops, but I would never call it a waste. In my opinion that is the BEST time to add hops.
+1 :mug: