Why to the yeasties hate me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiedye

Reaction score
Here's the story...

I recently brewed up a batch of Left Hand Milk Stout from an AHS mini-mash kit. Everything appeared to go well. I only had a couple beers during the session, was fairly attentive. The kit even came with a yeast nutrient tab, which I put in according to the directions at 5 min before flame out. After the boil I cooled my wort down to 70 pretty quickly with an immersion chiller, then blasted it with pure o2 from a Williams Brewing Supply aeration setup or about 45 seconds. SG was on target at 1.065.

I chose to have TWO White Labs Cali Ale Yeast WPL001 included. I followed the directions on the bottles and had them come to room temp over night. When I went to pitch, the first bottle blew like it was carbed! Spewed all over, and I managed to get about half in my carboy. Luckily I had the second bottle. I opened that more carefully. Still foamy, but managed to get most in - yea! I put on the airlock, tucked the carboy into my office which stays a pretty constant 68-ish.

24 hours...no activity. 48 hours...no activity. 72 hours...still nuttin. After 4 days of no activity, I went to my LHBS and picked up a smackpack of Ale Yeast. Smacked...it inflated. I pitched these guys and within 12 hours things were churning away - yippie!

Then the next morning...back to nothing. Sigh...

It's been another week of me staring into a black abyss...nothing. Today I racked to a secondary to get it off all the rebel yeast. Got a reading of 1.030. Some something happened, but not much.

What could have gone wrong, and what should I do at this point? I have a pack of Nottingham, should I pitch that into the secondary - or should I let this sit for a few more weeks and live with the outcome?

Any thoughts or suggestions from the masters would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks!!!!

what was your starting gravity? i wouldn't have racked off the yeast but rather roused the carboy and warmed it up. good luck.

Back