Why the WLP820 hate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
I can't do a Google search for 820 without coming across a complaint thread.

It's very early for me, but I've got strong activity within 12 hours of pitching. Made a adequate stepped up starter, using yeast nutrient. Used nutrient again near end of boil. Oxygenated really well pitched at 48 and let free rise to 51. Its acting just like any other yeast I use at this point.

820 tends to be a slow finisher, takes some time to drop the gravity and also tends to finish with a higher ending gravity. Making a starter helps get it going, but see where it ends at to judge for yourself.

I used it last fall for an Oktoberfest and it worked great. I used a 3.5 liter starter, lots of aeration and 52F fermentation temp. Worked like a charm for me.

It's not the arrows, but the Indian.

Yeah, I've posted another thread today about the same batch. Its continued strong, and I'm having to increase to diacetyl rest on the 4th day. Down from 1.061 to 1.020 in just under 4 days.

Back