Why the US is better than the UK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
LIGHT HEARTED!!!!

Okay so tell me what I'm missing.

I know about the Weather and fuel prices. I'm not into sport. :p

I'll go for the cost and choise when eating out.

Why the USA is better than the UK? OK, not to sound adversarial BUT...
The USA kicked the UK's ass in the revolutionary war, then the USA kicked the UK's ass in the war of 1812; THEN the USA bailed out the UK during world war 1, then the USA bailed out the UK in world war 2...
Now if those things don't prove not only that we can (and have) kick your ass AND the good ol' USA is also the best friend the UK ever had, I don't know what does.
I'll hoist a pint to the UK and the USA anytime! :mug:

Beer?

I like warm flat beer.

I think I'm better here.
Beef? I don't like growth hormones.

Next.

That being said. I'd love to try plenty of the beers and beef.

There is far more cask ale in the US than there is interesting beer other than cask ale in the UK.

We have fixed interest mortgages.

honestly I don't know what the UK has to offer, I like Top Gear so you must have nice cars over there, although we have the same ones hear, just cost more and not that I have one or anything.

As far as beer goes, I perfer the west coast style beers, probably because that is what I have spent my introduction to good beer lessons with. Oh and we do have cask beer here too, mmm.... jubelale on cask....

For the time being, no socialized medicine! See how long that lasts.

Of course a much greater beer selection and a willingness to brew new things, not just the same old, same old.

Guns?

We're not the homeland of the Beatles? But I guess you make up for that with Zeppelin.

Not just cheap gasoline. Cheap everything. When my friends from the UK visit they nearly have an anuerysm when they see the prices. Stuff is no more than half the price here. They stock up.

Not just cheap gasoline. Cheap everything. When my friends from the UK visit they nearly have an anuerysm when they see the prices. Stuff is no more than half the price here. They stock up.

Haha, so we're like Mexico in the eyes of the British?

I know you don't want to hear about cost of living, but that's it. That's all it really comes down to for me. I'm not materialistic, but money still talks. Here in the US, I can:

-park for free at the virtually every supermarket and other retail stores
-get a dentist (and a good one too)
-have a clothes dryer and run it when ever I want (instead of timing it to run in the middle of the night when rates are cheaper)
-easily afford 2 cars per household
-have unlimited phone calling anywhere in the US for $50/month, instead of paying for every call even if it's the neighbor next door (at least that's how it was when I was there 6 years ago)
-own a 5 bedroom, 2700 SF (250 square meters) new house on a 3/4 acre (0.3 hectare) wooded lot for the same price as a 2 bedroom fixer-upper flat in the UK
-...and on and on

So, it's all the little things that add up to be one big thing... cost of living. If it weren't for cost of living, I'd probably still be living in the UK. (I'm American and moved there with my half-British wife... bought a car, rented a flat, got a decent job.) I may go back some day if and when money is less of an issue because, otherwise, I really liked it there.

Here in San Diego, I can go surfing in the morning and snowboarding in the afternoon. The UK isn't exactly renowned for either of these.
I can also go to Stone, the Lost Abbey, Green Flash, Ballast Point and two Pizza Port locations in one day. If I lived in Portland, Asheville, or a number of other places I could do something similar. In England, I'd be likely be drinking variations of milds and bitters all day if I tried to do that.
Driving to Las Vegas for the weekend with a few buddies will cost me ~$300.

All England has is it's history and it won't leave Ireland alone. sarcasm implied

Admittedly, if I was right next door to Ireland and their redheaded women, I probably wouldn't be able to leave them alone either ;)

We win because american pale ales have hops in them.

Open space goes a long way with me... for less than the cost of a new car you can buy 20 acres in Montana. On a related note, setting aside the US National Park System for public use was done in direct response to the fact that nothing like that exists in Europe.

Did anyone say teeth yet? :D

I like UK generally, though having lived there and in Ireland has made me more appreciative of what we have back in the states.

- Availability of goods. I can buy whatever I want, when I want and don't have to wait eons to get it. And my grocery bill isn't 10% or more of my income.
- We have the best outdoor playground in the world. Skiing, fishing, boating, hiking, hunting, camping... and that's just within 20 min of my house. And its all free!
- Open space. Want to buy a 100 acres of land somewhere without having to be related to the fourth earl of warwick? I don't have to see my neighbors if I don't want to.
- Better universities, better hospitals (both gonna cost you though), and social mobility.
- Taxes. More money in my pocket. No 17.5% VAT.
- Better weather, women, food, sport, cars, and selection thereof.
- Friendlier people.

I like British pubs tho, your history and architecture, and the fact that I was able to fly from standsted to krakow for less than 25 pounds - and having saved enough money on travel to take a train to Prague for 2 weeks. And visit france, spain, germany, and belgium, on vacation. Tho I mostly like your pubs! ;)

They have a queen! half the country is out of work and they pay for the upkeep of an outdated tradition

Good point. The British national anthem is God save the Queen. Two things in the national anthem alone that makes me wonder WTF? is a good reason to leave. :)

Edit: 3 things. I don't like saving either. :)

That just leaves the word "The"........And I'm starting to not like that too!

I would have to say that it's our geography that's better. We have all major climate zones and population centers. If you don't like where you live, you can always find something more to your liking quickly and cheaply. Of course, if you include the Commonwealth, I think it would be a draw.

If I were ever to live or work abroad, England would be my first choice. Just having the ability to get spares for my Land Rover at the local autojumble would be superb.

I would have to say that it's our geography that's better. We have all major climate zones and population centers. If you don't like where you live, you can always find something more to your liking quickly and cheaply.

Very good point. Where I currently live is pretty bleak IMO (And a poor moron/rational human ratio) however, if and when work and opportunity allows I know that there are very different places available for me to desecrate. :)

lots of our "historic" buildings were build in the 1950s... ;)

You are being a little unfair there. A local restaurant has a big billboard on 250 that proclaims itself "Historic Berry's Restaurant" and that was founded in 1946. Please get your facts straight. There are historic places of interest at least 4 years older than you claimed.

True billboard, by the way. :)

- Better weather, women, food, sport, cars, and selection thereof.

I'm going to have to disagree about us having better cars. I'd say they have a wider selection with more options. Although, if I could get a 2001 Subaru Prodrive STi here in the states, I'd say nuke 'em (after kidnapping the Top gear guys and bringing them over here) :D

America gets things done. It does not hinder it's progress by thinking things through or letting common sense get in the way.......That's a plus, isn't it? ;)

Back