Why the internet should name all boats.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all fun and games until that boat makes headlines again after a tragic event...

"God save the brave souls who risked their lives for others aboard Boaty McBoatface".

"Boaty McBoatface was captured by Somali pirates who boarded with their Gunny McPewpews"

See, this is the problem with democracy. When you let the idiotic populace make these kind of important decisions, people vote for the funny option rather than the serious one, and you end up with absurdities like a perfectly respectable research vessel being named "Boaty McBoatface," or William Hung being voted through on American Idol as a joke, or an orange-skinned, tiny-fingered buffoon as leader of the free world. People are juvenile. Some decisions are too important to trust to the ignorant masses.

See, this is the problem with democracy. When you let the idiotic populace make these kind of important decisions, people vote for the funny option rather than the serious one, and you end up with absurdities like a perfectly respectable research vessel being named "Boaty McBoatface," or William Hung being voted through on American Idol as a joke, or an orange-skinned, tiny-fingered buffoon as leader of the free world. People are juvenile. Some decisions are too important to trust to the ignorant masses.

I believe it was tiny hands, not fingers. That would just be gross.

(Sorry, I went out to "lunch", I might be argumentative on purpose now.)

See, this is the problem with democracy... ...Some decisions are too important to trust to the ignorant masses.

I agree. If they wanted public input they should have had multiple choice with names already vetted.

I like the name but not for a multi-million $$ research vessel.

The ridiculousness, to the point of absurdity, is what is funny.

"Security, Security, Security....
This is Boaty McBoatface departing inner harbour berth 3 bound for sea. Any concerned traffic can be reached on channel 13 and 16.
This is Boaty McBoatface, standing by, out."

Yep, sounds super professional....

I agree. If they wanted public input they should have had multiple choice with names already vetted.

I like the name but not for a multi-million $$ research vessel.

The ridiculousness, to the point of absurdity, is what is funny.

To be clear, my post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. I actually think the whole "Boaty McBoatface" thing is hilarious. But I have a dumb sense of humour. I'm part of the problem.

"Security, Security, Security....
This is Boaty McBoatface departing inner harbour berth 3 bound for sea. Any concerned traffic can be reached on channel 13 and 16.
This is Boaty McBoatface, standing by, out."

Yep, sounds super professional....

Nah, it'll get a nickname. My money is on BMB.

I guess I'm the minority here but I would be proud to be part of the crew aboard Boaty McBoatface. Waaay better than the boring usual, Sir Francis Drake of shamalamadingdong

I read this in the paper this morning. Read it twice, actually, because it made sorta laugh. The vote was considered a "suggestion" after the result was silly. But, I kinda like silly. IMO, the people have spoken. Long live her majesty's IMS Boaty McBoatyface! I'm guessing it plays an integral part in a future Bond movie.

The problem I have with it, is that it's not a boat, it's a ship. It should be called Shippy McShipface, which doesn't sound as funny, but when the people who will work aboard it find out they're getting Shipfaced...

There was a poll to rename some elementary school in Texas. Schooly McSchoolface was among the contenders.

The problem I have with it, is that it's not a boat, it's a ship. It should be called Shippy McShipface, which doesn't sound as funny, but when the people who will work aboard it find out they're getting Shipfaced...

This isn't too old to bring back I think. Anyway it's relevent.

I was taking a tour of the USS Midway and I asked one of the docents what the difference between and ship and boat was and he said "you can put a boat on a ship and not the other way around". Sound right to you?

By the way touring the Midway is about the coolest thing I did in San Diego over Christmas including visiting Stone brewery.

Back